Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy hates her collar

Options
  • 09-12-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Our puppy is now ten weeks old so we thought it best to buy her a collar and let her get used to wearing one and maybe try to teach her how to walk on a lead before we head out into the big outdoors in a couple of weeks time.

Well...... to put it mildly she went crazy, you would swear we were torturing her. Yelping like mad, flying round in circles, then lying down on the floor refusing to move. I put her favourite treat one foot in front of her and even that wouldn't entice her.

So I thought maybe the collar was too heavy and went out and bought one of those soft nylon type ones and tried that today, she wasn't quite as bad with that but went off in a huff into her crate and wouldn't come out :(

Any suggestions anyone?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

saleda wrote: »
    Our puppy is now ten weeks old so we thought it best to buy her a collar and let her get used to wearing one and maybe try to teach her how to walk on a lead before we head out into the big outdoors in a couple of weeks time.

Well...... to put it mildly she went crazy, you would swear we were torturing her. Yelping like mad, flying round in circles, then lying down on the floor refusing to move. I put her favourite treat one foot in front of her and even that wouldn't entice her.

So I thought maybe the collar was too heavy and went out and bought one of those soft nylon type ones and tried that today, she wasn't quite as bad with that but went off in a huff into her crate and wouldn't come out :(

Any suggestions anyone?!

Just leave it on, she will get used to it after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

If the collar fits right and isn't cutting into the skin, then it's more a thing that she's not used to it. Mine were the same when I got their first collars. I was so chuffed, it was nearly like baby's first shoes and the collars were this soft felt type material. They scratched them so much that after two hours, it looked like they were wearing mini feather boas around their necks! You would have thought they were being scalded, the way they were going on. But they got accustomed to having them around their neck and within a few days they were grand.

I think it's one of those things that they have to figure out that no matter how much they strop, the collar is staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

A lighter collar is a good way to get them used to it. Something that I did with my fella when he was a pup, was to let the lead on his collar when he was walking around with me in the house. That way you can keep an eye on him and it also gets him used to this long thing hanging off his collar. It takes a few days but it becomes second nature to them eventually. My fella doesn't even wear his collar all the time, only for walks etc but takes absolutely no notice of it now. Treating him every time you put it on is also a good way of giving a good spin on it! Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Just make sure the collar's loose enough to slip two fingers underneath. The collar should be fairly loose, but not so loose that it could come off!

How is the little lady now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Distraction works, the minute you put the collar on distract the pup by bringing the pup outside for a quick play in the garden or for a few minutes walk (bit cold at the mo for small pups so you can keep the walk short).
    Keep up the distraction, after about 2 nights of wearing the collar the pup will forget it's on. Putting a tag on the collar is important so it's important to get the pup used to it, in the mean time if not already ensure the pup is microchipped in case for whatever reason the collar is taken off.

Mine are the opposite..hate when their collars are taken off..collar off = bath time. Although I do tend to keep collars on during bath time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

Just make sure the collar's loose enough to slip two fingers underneath. The collar should be fairly loose, but not so loose that it could come off!

How is the little lady now? :D

We had put it on pretty loose and tried distracting her so I guess we'll just have to persist. I wouldn't leave it on at night time though. I'd be afraid she'd catch it on something and choke herself.

She's doing great. Thanks for asking. A little darling and a little devil at the same time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

We had the same problem with our cocker. We changed to a light soft puppy harness and no problem. Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

I had hoped to start with the collar and then go on to a harness but I thought if she can't take the collar, she'll go ape with a harness but I might just try that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

harnesses are good but the thing is you still need them to wear a collar as you need their id tag on it in case they would get out on you. also its the law to have dogs tagged at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Completely natural, the extra weight, however slight is a "distraction".

For a first collar you just have to insure 2 things,

The collar can't come off over its head, and you can get 3 fingers under the collar, to make sure she can breathe, eat and drink without a problem.

While your collar training, attach the leash for 3-5 minutes a day. just let her drag it behind her, and watch she doesn't snag on anything, and let it get used to that too, so when when it's time for the first walk it won't be thinking "what's going on!!!! Help !!" she'll be thinking "I know this, its safe and doesn't hurt me"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

harnesses are good but the thing is you still need them to wear a collar as you need their id tag on it in case they would get out on you. also its the law to have dogs tagged at all times

Put the id tag on the harness. Crazy I know.

Advertisement