Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new years eve music

Options
  • 09-12-2011 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi Have started a post on stephens day music, but got me thinking, what kind of music would ye play on new years eve for a pub gig ages 18-60,past experience of gigs you have done. songs you wish you have heard on new years eve out yourself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

This

The question should be, what music should you not play on new years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Celtic3x

thanks lads, unfortunitly id be sent home with no pay right away if played them songs. its a pub gig to average age anything from 18-50

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Celtic3x wrote: »
    thanks lads, unfortunitly id be sent home with no pay right away if played them songs. its a pub gig to average age anything from 18-50

Out of interest, how did you get the gig if you clearly have no idea as to what you are doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Out of interest, how did you get the gig if you clearly have no idea as to what you are doing?

cheers for pointing out whats clear. im not djing long, recession an all that try new things. this is a play list from a 19th birthday i did back in april. yes april its only new to me, thats why asking whats best to play. but i cant play most of this list as are old songs.
    Rihanna - s & m
    Tinie tempah - frisky
    Cee Lo Green - Bright lights bigger city
    Mike Posner - cooler then me
    Beyonce - crazy in love
    snoop dog- sweat
    Taio Cruz- dynamite
    Alexis Jordan - good girl
    Chris Brown - yeah 3x
    Nicki Minaj- girls fall like dominoes
    Rihanna - only girl
    Wretch 32 - unorthodox
    Tinie Tempah- wonderman
    Alex Gaudino - what a feeling
    J Lo- on the floor
    Flo Rida- club cant handle me
    Mann/ 50 Cent- buzzin
    Tincy Stryder - your not alone
    Kayne West - all of the lights
    Kesha- we are who we are
    Pink- raise your glass
    Example - wont go quietly
    Katy B - broken record
    Usher - more
    Tiesto - C'mon
    David Guetta- whos that chick
    Martin Solveig - hello
    Katy Perry - e.t
    Nicole Sherzinger - dont hold your breath
    Labrinth - let the sunshine
    Black Eyed Peas- just cant get enough
    Swedish House Mafia Miami 2 ibiza
    Kesha- blow
    Cascada - evacuate the dance floor
    Lady GaGa- born this way
    Wiz Khalifa- Black & yellow
    Kelly Rowland - Commander
    Chris Brown - Beautiful people
    Far East Movement - like a g6
    Katy B - on a mission
    Example - changed the way you kiss me
    Lmfao - party rock anthem
    New Boyz - backseat
    Tinie Tempah - pass out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Google wedding playlist or something like that. Tunes to suit everyone. Look up the 'Now thats what i call music' series on wikipedia, pick a few from every year, google fannings fab 50,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

when in doubt, bang on some Metal \m/ :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

the same **** you would play any other night of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

FensterDJ wrote: »
    the same **** you would play any other night of the week

Except you do a double thumbs up every time you put on a new tune. Remember to tell the crowd to go mucking fental!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

One of many legendary acts performing at Raindance NYE in London, i cannot fuc**ng wait :):)

http://www.raindanceravefestival.com/?p=251

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

You forgot this classic Ian:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

If you honestly need to ask what to play on New Year's Eve (or any other night of the year really) then IMO you shouldn't be playing music in public.

You're clearly not interested in music, you clearly have no idea where your own tastes lie, you have no idea on what records (from whatever genre) resonate with the crowd you're lucky enough to play for.

You're not even very good at starting interesting threads on the internet; you could have rescued this discussion by asking something like "Who else is playing on New Year's?" and then explaining the nature of your gig and asking what everyone was going to be drawing for, for example.

All the above leads me to believe you're just a pimply 19 year old with a **** set of denon CDJ's and an iPod full of chart tunes that you bought off adverts.ie with zero actual interest in music.

Use your ****ing imagination man, you've got over a century of recorded music to draw from. Don't expect us to go do your homework for you.

If you honestly need to ask what to play on New Year's Eve (or any other night of the year really) then IMO you shouldn't be playing music in public.

You're clearly not interested in music, you clearly have no idea where your own tastes lie, you have no idea on what records (from whatever genre) resonate with the crowd you're lucky enough to play for.

You're not even very good at starting interesting threads on the internet; you could have rescued this discussion by asking something like "Who else is playing on New Year's?" and then explaining the nature of your gig and asking what everyone was going to be drawing for, for example.

All the above leads me to believe you're just a pimply 19 year old with a **** set of denon CDJ's and an iPod full of chart tunes that you bought off adverts.ie with zero actual interest in music.

Use your ****ing imagination man, you've got over a century of recorded music to draw from. Don't expect us to go do your homework for you.

you said it. thanks for the feed back all welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Rule one of DJing is "Play What You Know". I would never play a track live that I haven't played 100's of times in practice. You need to know every drop, every chord and every vocal.

For that reason I would never play a wedding or an older crowd. Do you know Abba's back catalogue? I don't and wouldn't claim to. I've said no to a good few gigs in my time basically because I thought I'd ruin the night rather than make it. I hate to feel I ruined a night because I had no idea of the music or the crowd.

I admire anyone who plays varied gigs like that.

Oh, and forget playlists. I don't think I've ever played the same set twice. By all means have a crate i.e. a list of music but don't have a set list that you play in that order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

Advertisement