Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banks are "like black and tans"

Options
  • 09-12-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

A financial institution has been described in the Dáil as worse than the Black and Tans after its agents seized farm and plant machinery from a contractor in the middle of the night and broke into a neighour’s property to gain access to the equipment.

Independent TD Mattie McGrath claimed the “thugs” acting for Bank of Ireland Finance took the machinery from the Co Tipperary contractor, who was in business for 40 years, without a court order and were accompanied by gardaí.

The Independent TD said the machines they took were between four and six years old and “they were almost finished their payments”.
    He held up a list of payments that had been made up to September this year, including “one for €5,000 paid on September 20th, which still had not been cashed by the bank by November”.

Describing the five men who repossessed the machinery as “nothing short of cowboys”, he said they “stole” other equipment not contracted to Bank of Ireland Finance including a Massey Ferguson 6490, and “drove it back an hour later when they discovered it wasn’t the right tractor”.
    They also took a hedge cutter worth €20,000 which was with a different finance company, Woodchester Finance. “Now Woodchester have informed them that Bank of Ireland kindly passed this over to them and they’re keeping it as well.”

Mr McGrath said the gardaí were in a paddy wagon and sat for 40 minutes while the “thugs” loaded up the equipment. The gardaí accompanied them around Tipperary for hours and the “five thugs” were in a repossessed jeep with no tax or insurance disc.

“The public are paying for these banks and the State protects them and allows them to carry it out," he said.
    Describing the contractors as “of good standing” he said it was one thing “to come during the day” but they came “in the dead of night” and it was “State terrorism”.

Minister of State Fergus O’Dowd, speaking for the Minister for Finance, said Mr McGrath was making “very serious charges” and he advised him to write to the Garda Commissioner and the district Superintendent.
    He also said the implications of what he was saying about the gardaí were “very serious”. It was Mr O'Dowd's experience that if a Garda vehicle was involved they had always acted "always and only in conformity with the law".

Mr McGrath said he was not blaming any individual officers but they were brought out by this institution. There was no court order.
    Mr O’Dowd highlighted existing hire purchase and consumer credit legislation as well as codes of practice financial institutions were obliged to follow.

Mr McGrath said “the Acts don’t matter to these people. They came in the dead of night, broke in through a neighbour’s property.” Another neighbour driving to work in Dublin noticed the action and alerted the contractor.
    He said the machines were taken to Ganley Craig auctions.
    “I tell the people to stay away from those auctions. They are buying people’s misery.

“The Black and Tans didn’t do it. The landlord didn’t do it with the sheriff coming in for evictions.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1209/breaking33.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

old news

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

This is like so five minutes ago.

AnamGlas wrote: »
    This is like so five minutes ago.

more like an hour ago like.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

Ah ****e, I did a search and all and it didn't come up. ****. Now i see the thread further down.

Maybe it could be merged or locked.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Come out you Bank of Irelanders,
    Come out and fight me like a man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Come out you Bank of Irelanders,
    Come out and fight me like a man

Tell them how the IMF made you run like hell away,
    From the green and ghost estates in Killashandra.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

As someone who comes from a town sacked by the B&Ts I am deeply offended by the casual association of the traumatic events my people have suffered with actions of the banks today.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Mattie McGrath must never have heard the expression "Kettle calling the pot black".

If there is any "thug" here then it is him who as a Fianna Fail scummer is responsible for this mess, ok banks are acting outrageously but to compare them to the black and tans is a joke, if anything his own scumbag traitor fianna fail party are the next best thing to the tans. Jeez Tipperary people must be some morons to elect both this guy and the other corrupt gangster Lowry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Not really, banks dont kick the **** out of you nor shoot you, but the Black and Tans did.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Pity someone wasn't waiting there for them with a Mack 11.
    They should have stuffed the jeep with fertiliser and a timer and left it outside the bank.

• Advertisement

charlemont wrote: »
    They should have stuffed the jeep with fertiliser and a timer and left it outside the bank.

oh an innernet tough guy

oh an innernet tough guy

Oh a wimp with an ass covered in vaseline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

oh an innernet tough guy
    Oh a wimp with an ass covered in vaseline.

Stop it lads, this is what the British want us to do, fall out with each other!!!

800 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Because its the bank tellers/people walking past/customers that deserve to die for wrongly repossessing a jeep:confused:

And anyway, why a mack 11? Why not any gun, why specifically a mack 11?? Jesus if your wanting to plant bombs outside banks sure you'd be as well be waiting for them with a tank :pac:

And how does fertiliser and a timer make a bomb? If I throw an alarm clock into a tonne bag of fertiliser will it explode when the alarm goes off?
    Im obviously not as well read in pyrotechnics as yourself but I'm sure theres another essential ingredient?
    Please explain:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I don't think offering bankers fertiliser for a limited time only outside where they work is going to do anything to be honest charlesmont. Especially not at this time of year. You might be more successful selling fertiliser in the spring though :cool:

somefeen wrote: »
    Because its the bank tellers/people walking past/customers that deserve to die for wrongly repossessing a jeep:confused:

And anyway, why a mack 11? Why not any gun, why specifically a mack 11?? Jesus if your wanting to plant bombs outside banks sure you'd be as well be waiting for them with a tank :pac:

And how does fertiliser and a timer make a bomb? If I throw an alarm clock into a tonne bag of fertiliser will it explode when the alarm goes off?
    Im obviously not as well read in pyrotechnics as yourself but I'm sure theres another essential ingredient?
    Please explain:confused:

Yes sure kill em all, And if your that stupid sure how could anyone explain anything to you.:pac:

Yes sure kill em all, And if your that stupid sure how could anyone explain anything to you.:pac:

Your saying I'm stupid?

I must reflect upon this......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

No wonder this country is so fcuked up! The matter that Deputy McGrath wasted so much parliamentary time discussing is one that should be resolved in a court of law, and perhaps referred to the Garda Ombudsman as well.:rolleyes:

Our national parliament has much more important things to discuss and deliberate. McGrath's piece of theatre is only too typical of the clientelism and parochialism that is the curse of Irish political life, with too many politicians flogging their own local dead horse and totally incapable of seeing the big, national picture.:mad::mad:

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    No wonder this country is so fcuked up! The matter that Deputy McGrath wasted so much parliamentary time discussing is one that should be resolved in a court of law, and perhaps referred to the Garda Ombudsman as well.:rolleyes:

Our national parliament has much more important things to discuss and deliberate. McGrath's piece of theatre is only too typical of the clientelism and parochialism that is the curse of Irish political life, with too many politicians flogging their own local dead horse and totally incapable of seeing the big, national picture.:mad::mad:

Agree completely. There was dodgy goings on but why was it brought up when there's more important issues on the agenda?
    Same old **** from thick culchie TDs. Why cant they have a seperate meeting for this kind of ****e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Ellis Dee wrote: »

I disagree.

We should not decry every single instance of a politician presenting the legislature with anecdotes from his own constituency.

On this occasion, the deputy was not requesting political intervention in individual cases, he was trying to represent the concerns of his constituents; to 'paint a picture' of the situation that real people are living through and to remind the Government of their duties to the people.

I don't think that such genuine representations ought to be confused with the likes of requests for medical cards or speedy passports, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    As someone who comes from a town sacked by the B&Ts I am deeply offended by the casual association of the traumatic events my people have suffered with actions of the banks today.;)

If you're referring to Cork, that was Auxiliaries, not B&Ts.

Anyway this McGrath guy is a walking joke - his wise words on drink driving
    "People say that after one drink it lessens your concentration -- you're not as good a driver, or you're not able to drive. I don't accept that.

"That can be argued the other way as well. Some people, if drink is such a sedative, it can make people who are jumpy on the road, or nervous, be more relaxed. All these arguments can be argued both ways."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/one-drink-helps-some-drivers-td-1924931.html

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Ms Minnie Mouse

later10 wrote: »
    genuine representations

Maybe he was acting in good faith, however, in order to make a 'genuine representation' should one not establish the true facts prior to raising in such a 'public' arena, to ensure that the person who's concerns are being raised have 'genuinely represented' themselves in the first place?

Just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

goose2005 wrote: »
    If you're referring to Cork, that was Auxiliaries, not B&Ts.
    Nope, not Cork.

And yes it definitely was Black&Tans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The Wolfetones should write a song about banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Mattie McGrath is a clown, I'm ashamed to say he represents my constituency:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

And if your that stupid sure how could anyone explain anything to you.
    wrote:
    Your saying I'm stupid?

You're.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Maybe he was acting in good faith, however, in order to make a 'genuine representation' should one not establish the true facts prior to raising in such a 'public' arena, to ensure that the person who's concerns are being raised have 'genuinely represented' themselves in the first place?
    Not necessarily. His position as an opposition politician is, in practice, to 'paint a picture' of the state of the nation to the Government in their new found refuge from real life in the ivory towers of bureaucracy.

It would be wrong for the TD in question in each case like this to have to go and conduct his own mini tribunal, await Garda reports and ombusdman's reports and so on when this activity is alleged to be happening right now.

Every case is different, and while I also come from this man's constituency, and I generally don't agree with his politics, I think one has to be practical and behave as Mattie McGrath did where one feels a genuine abuse of power is being intruded upon private citizens who are vulnerable financially and perhaps otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Ms Minnie Mouse

So, he is right to cite such an alleged 'incident', even naming the company involved, without establishing first the true facts of the case?

If he had generalised about this alleged 'abuse of power' I'd have agreed with you, however, the fact that he went into quite specific details as to what he believed the facts to be and indeed named Bank of Ireland Finance and/or agents of Bank of Ireland Finance was perhaps not a wise move without first establishing the facts of the case.

Advertisement