Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tara Mines question

Options
  • 09-12-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

When the wagons full of ore reach Dublin Port, are they loaded to ships by Lo-Lo or are the wagons emptied and the ore goes on as break bulk?

Need to know for college assignment so any help appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I should imagine the wagons are bottom discharging judging by their appearance but I'm sure that somebody else will have the definitive story.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Yeah, they are bottom loaded via gravity. From there they are lifted onto the boat with a beetle or kept on site if there isn't a boat in dock to load. I've DVD footage of it being loaded though I don't think it shows any unloading on it.

On an unrelated note, JB may like this nugget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Thanks for nothing! :D I was on that special somewhere and there can't have been many more unusual movements on CIE since .......

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah, they are bottom loaded via gravity.
    Is the word "discharging" missing fom that? That is "bottom discharging, loaded via gravity".
    From there they are lifted onto the boat with a beetle or kept on site if there isn't a boat in dock to load.
    What is a beetle, do you mean a grab-bucket?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Victor wrote: »
    Is the word "discharging" missing fom that? That is "bottom discharging, loaded via gravity".

What is a beetle, do you mean a grab-bucket?

That is depending on your outlook :) If you are referring to unloading the wagons then you are discharging; if you are loading the beetle, which is the system that lifts the scuttle/bucket yoke then it's being loaded.

Potato potat-o ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I should imagine the wagons are bottom discharging judging by their appearance but I'm sure that somebody else will have the definitive story.
    Are they not put over on their side using the hooks at the top here P1040290-M.jpghttp://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/1952/Tara-Mines-Watch#.Tu8zajVzp8M

with these addittions which seem to be on one side only being used to guide the wagons back onto the track?
    dublinshow2010088.jpghttp://irishrailwaymodeller.yuku.com/topic/59/Tara-Mines-Wagons#.Tu8xVTVzp8M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I was always of the assumption that they were lifted off the rails to be unloaded. There is no other practical way to do it with their design that I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

apart from a Hymac of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

corktina wrote: »
    apart from a Hymac of course.
    I can see something like appears on the backs of refuse trucks only on a larger scale that lifts and tips the wagons into the boat in one move and then sets them back down on the track with the help of guide rails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes , a tippler system would be quite common, either a complete upturn or discharge through end or side doors. #

Current practice in the UK on stone wagons tends to include a grab and Ive seen Hymacs used too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Jacknory

The wagons are tipped on their side at Alexander Road to empty them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

maybe they were blasted wit big ass water cannons like the Beet in Mallow lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Tipped down into a conveyor system.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sporty56

Wagons are discharged by rotating them as in this photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

So does the loco have to keep switching tracks, pull one out and push one in as it crosses the traverser. Seems awfully slow. I assume there is a pulley system to pull each wagon in as it's uncoupled and push it back out again to be coupled back up on the other track.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

No the one move covers it each one is hooked of the lifted and tipped then put back down re hooked and driver moves up for the next one

Advertisement