Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Seekers Allowance Query

Options
  • 09-12-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask a question or 2 on job seekers allowance.

1. How do they inform you that you've been approved for this allowance? I'm assuming it's by post but I'm still waiting, though I do realise the waiting times can be ridiculous with a lot of claims, this is my first application for the allowance.

2. If the money for the allowance if paid and sits in the post office for to long, do the social welfare department/office claim back the money?

Thanks for the time :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

They would inform you by post. If you have not heard anything, you should always call to the SW office and check. They will be means testing you for Jobseekers Allowance and that usually involves a visit by an inspector to your home. While you are waiting for your claim to be processed you may be able to claim Supplementary Welfare Allowance from the Community Welfare Officer who works out of your local health centre. Any Supplementary Welfare payments are deducted from your backpayments when your Jobseekers Allowance comes through.

If by any chance the payment was made to the PO and you hadn't been informed and didn't collect it you need to go to the SW office, tell them what happened, and they will release it again to the Post Office with a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vincentdublin

how long does it take the JSA to be approved?

Vincent

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

how long does it take the JSA to be approved?

Vincent

Depends on the area ur in, my sw office is in portarlington and it took a couple of wks for me to b approved , am married with 2 kids

Advertisement