Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweep

Options
  • 09-12-2011 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi All
    I am currently 39 weeks and am due my first Baby next Friday. The Midwife told me that they will take me in at 40 weeks and do a sweep!?

What does this involve and does it start labour??
    Any advise greatful!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Sweeps can be used to induce labour, but it's not guaranteed. I had a sweep when I was almost 41 weeks (my doc didn't even tell me she was doing it...just said she'd "help me along" even though after doing an internal she thought I was preparing to go already).

I did feel nausious afterwards, kinda yucky. My labour started the next morning & babe was born at exactly 41 weeks. Don't know whether the sweep or the natural progression of things was responsible for getting things going.

IMO, sweeps should not be a routine method unless there's an indication why the labour *needs* to start right at 40 weeks. I always roll my eyes when I hear stories of women who have an auto sweep done right at DOE, b/c I don't think DOEs are 100% certain anyway. Sweeps do carry a risk of infection (as does anything which involves insertion of anything into the canal), and there is the risk that the plug will be "popped" before you're 100% ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

you can refuse a sweep.. i did on my last one..they will do an internal check to see if you are starting to dilate..if not then they'll discuss a date to be induced up to 42 weeks.. good luck anyway you're nearly there ;)

Advertisement