Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding another dog to two already have?

Options
  • 09-12-2011 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

As the title says there is a 1yr old little terrier in need of a home. I already have two who are with me for around a year and a half.
    Has anyone taken the leap and gone for 3 dogs?
    Thing is I cant stop thinking about this little one and I haven't even seen it yet. i'm a soft touch wish the person didn't tell me to be honest.
    I dont know if i would have the time for 3 of them or if they'll all get on?
    He's currently in the pound.

Should I take him in for a while and try it, and if it doesnt work look for a new home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I've gone from 2 to 3 dogs and the only issue I'm having is the smaller JR trying to install dominance on the St Bernard with the new dog being left alone. So as long as you aim to keep the pack together with walks, feeding etc and keep yourself the alpha it should not be an issue.

Then again for me it could have nothing to do with the numbers and more the age.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

We got our 3rd dog when our other two were 5. The reason we got a 3 was that we thought our original 2 were well behaved and we could manage a 3rd. I did my research and decided on the type, age, sex and size of dog that would fit us best - a terrier x which I saw on a rescue site. Then someone landed a collie on us - wrong sex, wrong age, wrong, wrong. With perservance we have made it work.

So I suggest you take a good look at your two dogs, decided if you can manage three and then decide if this terrier is the type of dog you would chose. If so then go for it. If not dont.

Is the dog coming from a pound or rescue. If its a pound if you decide the dog isnt working out and you return it it will be classed as surrender and could be pts after a day - could you cope with knowing that. If a rescue then I suggest you take it on a foster basis with a view to adopt.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

We had two dogs for years. It became three when a little mongrel stray turned up on the road.

We took it in and tried without success to find an owner. Five years later she's still here; having settled in nicely with the other two.

There is an occasional ruckus over the food bowls, apart from that there have not been any problems. They exercise, sleep and play together.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Five years on and our two have not totally jelled, but it gets easier as I have more confidence etc. Wee dog was an only dog and collie was untrained etc and they are such diferent dogs.

When we are in the fields, wee dog(Half bassett) follows her nose while collie wants to round her up. In the house, collie wants to play and wee dog refuses. Collie sings a mournful song then.

Wee dog humps collie ( both female) and is the boss re food.

And they refuse to sleep together and quarrel over who gets which bed that night.. ah but three times I have seen them together..lol

And now I am boss. That is what took the longest.

But no way a third dog here; collie was not intended but we just could not leave her chained up like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I only have 2, but sometimes mind my friend's dog. My main problem with 3 is that it's trickier to walk 3 than 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

On reflection decided i cant handle 3 dogs myself, BUT i've found a loving home for that little terrier.
    A family member has taken him and so far he's getting on brilliantly with they're resedent dog.:D:D:D
    Super happy as he was due to be PTS monday.

Advertisement