Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to laugh at certain things?

Options
  • 09-12-2011 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

There are jokes about blondes, Irishmen, thick men, stupid women etc

But where do you draw the line?

What areas of Sickipedia do you not go to??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Right before Lee Evans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Laugter is subjective and what you laugh at in private may not be what you would laugh at or like to be seen laughing at in public .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

There will be no Blonde jokes !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The joke ends when two black guys walk into a bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭anticonno16

Latchy wrote: »
    Laugter is subjective and what you laugh at in private may not be what you would laugh at or be seen to laugh at in public .

For example, you might laugh at the disabled in private but not in your role as a teacher for example??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

For example, you might laugh at the disabled in private but not in your role as a teacher for example??
    hmmmm. i dunno....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

No the disabled don't come into it but there are jokes out there about the disabled just as there are about any section of society .

Thinking more when somebody makes a fool of themselfs and you spare their blushes by holding in the laughter but you crap yourself laughing when they are out of site ..har har har

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Especially if you teach in a special needs school

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

There are jokes about blondes, Irishmen, thick men, stupid women etc

What areas of Sickipedia do you not go to??
    arent you repeating yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I find jokes in pretty much anything.

Except dead baby jokes, not because they're offensive............they're just plain shìte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

hondasam wrote: »

Are you a blonde? Always thought you were a hot redhead!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so who here saw that recent video on youtube of someone **** off a mentally disabled guy?

Duggy747 wrote: »

Except dead baby jokes, not because they're offensive............they're just plain shìte.

I hate dead baby jokes. They're always a flop...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

xoxyx wrote: »
    I hate dead baby jokes. They're always a flop...
    Duggy747 wrote: »

whats funnier than one dead baby?

Two dead babies in Clown suits.Bad dum tish!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

hondasam wrote: »

Are you blonde sam ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Are you blonde sam ?

no shes honda sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Some bad taste jokes have me in knots, others I don't find funny or I find horrible. It's a difficult one - hard not to be a hypocrite. I guess it depends on whether it affects you personally.
    Generally the ones I find funny are actually clever, not meanspirited, and contain a grain of truth, whereas the ones I don't find funny are just shock for shock's sake and the person telling it just being nasty. I think when the joke is at the expense of a specific person it's worse than when it's just general.
    It's very subjective though. I don't agree with "Either everything's funny or nothing's funny" - that's just an opinion. And I don't think it's logical. It's like saying "Either everything's tragic or nothing's tragic". People can't help what they find funny or not funny. And sometimes people use humour to cope with depressing, horrible stuff. Sometimes slagging-off jokes are good-natured and actually very inclusive too.
    There are times though when people crack jokes to be dickheads (e.g. a thread here re a small child dying due to abuse and a couple of "Kick the baby" or something "genius" comments). I do wonder wtf is wrong with people like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

xoxyx wrote: »
    Are you a blonde? Always thought you were a hot redhead!
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Are you blonde sam ?
    pmcmahon wrote: »
    no shes honda sam

Yes I'm blonde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭anticonno16

Dudess wrote: »
    Some bad taste jokes have me in knots, others I don't find funny or I find horrible. It's a difficult one - hard not to be a hypocrite. I guess it depends on whether it affects you personally.
    Generally the ones I find funny are actually clever, not meanspirited, and contain a grain of truth, whereas the ones I don't find funny are just shock for shock's sake and the person telling it just being nasty. I think when the joke is at the expense of a specific person it's worse than when it's just general.
    It's very subjective though. I don't agree with "Either everything's funny or nothing's funny" - that's just an opinion. And I don't think it's logical. It's like saying "Either everything's tragic or nothing's tragic". People can't help what they find funny or not funny. And sometimes people use humour to cope with depressing, horrible stuff. Sometimes slagging-off jokes are good-natured and actually very inclusive too.
    There are times though when people crack jokes to be dickheads (e.g. a thread here re a small child dying due to abuse and a couple of "Kick the baby" or something "genius" comments). I do wonder wtf is wrong with people like that.

So where do you stand on

Why did the little girl fall off the swing?

Because she had no arms.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    whats funnier than one dead baby?

Two dead babies in Clown suits.Bad dum tish!

Do you know how many dead babies can be fit in a Mini Cooper?

No? Me neither. It's probably for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I think pretty much every topic can be laughed at or joked about in some way but it depends very much on context.

Take the dead baby jokes, they're grand most of the time, but not something you say around someone who has just lost a baby.

So where do you stand on

Because she had no arms.

Why didn't she stand up?

She had no legs.

Why did nobody help her?

She had no friends.

I laughed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dudess wrote: »

So where do you stand on

Because she had no arms.
    Kinds funny in a "Oh my god, I can't believe someone said that" way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Vomit jokes are just sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

BRB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Probably best to leave this closed.

It will save a lot of unnecessary hassle for everyone later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement