Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savatage Appreciation Thread

Options
  • 08-12-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Seen that there wasn't one, and because they're one of my favourite bands, I thought I would start this.

They're a progressive metal band from Tampa, Florida. The singer (Jon Oliva) and guitarist (Criss Oliva) are amazing. I'll leave a few samples and see what you guys think of one of the lesser known amazing metal bands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savatage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OhOm-1m3D8

Some of Criss Oliva's most inspiring solo's. Criss unfortuantely died in 1993 in a car crash. And again, another promising musician was taken too early.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-xB6Z1Gv2Y

Savatage can kick your ass! But also have melodic gems like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEeUp8qtyVA

One of my personal favourites next. I get chills when I hear the solo, vocals and Criss wailing in the background. Nothing short of epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBzweYOWp3A

Let me know what you think and spread the word on this savage band!

P.S. Tried and failed to post YouTube Vids..My Bad!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I think there's a few of us Savatage fans here on boards..GhostInTheRuins being another one, of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Hall of the Mountain King is a beast of an album. Just straight up banging metal from start to finish. Jon Oliva's vocals are incredible too, love his range and the slight roughness that comes through every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MaidenSlayer

Yeah "Hall" really is a killer album the whole way through. Love the epicness of it too ha, like the build up from Prelude to Madness into Hall just sends shivers down my spine!

On a different note, I was in Tower Records earlier and picked up Gutter Ballet. It's in a new packaging and inside it says the whole Savatage collection has been re-issued by Ear-Music. The re-issues contain some words on each album by Jon Oliva and a few bonus tracks. Also each album has a bit of "Savatage" on the spine of the album so when all are collected they will spell out the name. Love those collections :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I think there's a few of us Savatage fans here on boards..GhostInTheRuins being another one, of course :)

Is mise!

Savatage were deadly alright.

I haven't really listened to them in years though (I must fix that), but I still have a big enough collection of 'Tage stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

I love the 'tage.
    Cris Oliva's (white guitar (the one on the front of From The Gutter to the Stage) is hanging on the wall of the Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando...we went to see it.

I've grown up on Savatage...and rightly so, they're brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

had a copy of edge of thorns years ago. always loved the riff for miles away...

seachto7 wrote: »
    had a copy of edge of thorns years ago. always loved the riff for miles away...

Yeah its a deadly riff (like all Savatage riffs). Edge is probably my favourite album. I do love Hall and Gutter Ballet, but it's the ballad/melody stuff as well as the kick ass stuff that makes it stand out for me. Only bad point of Edge would probably be the lyrics. Conversation Piece: "They're good for conversation
    Over a cup of tea, yeah, cup of tea". Very naff in my opinion ha.

Edge is probably my favourite album. I do love Hall and Gutter Ballet, but it's the ballad/melody stuff as well as the kick ass stuff that makes it stand out for me.

Do you have Streets?

And yeah that "cup of tea" has always kind of annoyed me.

Do you have Streets?

That's the only album I don't have to be honest! I did originally download all their albums. But when I listened to them I bought the majority of them, except Streets. It mustn't have been in that discography, but I really should hunt it down on eBay and get it.

Oh dear, it's their best album!

• Advertisement

Oh dear, it's their best album!

I'll make it my business to listen to it thoroughly today and get back to you on that!

Good man :D

Had a listen to Streets earlier. Liked the album, some songs we're pretty kick ass. Haven't really got into yet though. Usually takes 4 or 5 listens for me to get into an album, but it will be up there with the best.

Yeah you'll need to give it a fair few listens. As far as I can remember I didn't think too much of it when I heard it first. Feel free to skip the first song though because it goes on for five minutes longer than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Yeah you'll need to give it a fair few listens. As far as I can remember I didn't think too much of it when I heard it first. Feel free to skip the first song though because it goes on for five minutes longer than it should.

nothing wrong with DT Jesus

darryn wrote: »
    nothing wrong with DT Jesus

Of course you'd show up. :pac:

That's Jesus Saves and that's the second song, so there! Don't you have work to be doing instead of dossing on boards :P

Advertisement