Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA testing

Options
  • 08-12-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi - I hope this is the right forum. I am looking to buy someone a DNA test as an unusual Christmas present. He is very interested in genealogy. My understanding is what you are actually purchasing is the possibility to send away a swab of saliva (or whatever!) to a company/lab that then tests your DNA and gives you back a full map of your genotype. I believe this may include information about your genetic ancestry etc. It's also possible that this is linked to the Human Genome Mapping project - I seem to remember hearing that but this could be untrue. Perhaps someone can advise?

Now I realise I probably got my genotypes mixed up with my DNA and my genes because it's about 15 years since I studied biology for the Leaving so feel free to point out what's what to me.

But mainly I'm just wondering if anyone in Ireland can advise me of their experience of buying a reputable DNA test/genome mapping kit?

Thanks,
    Declan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Hi - I hope this is the right forum. I am looking to buy someone a DNA test as an unusual Christmas present. He is very interested in genealogy. My understanding is what you are actually purchasing is the possibility to send away a swab of saliva (or whatever!) to a company/lab that then tests your DNA and gives you back a full map of your genotype. I believe this may include information about your genetic ancestry etc. It's also possible that this is linked to the Human Genome Mapping project - I seem to remember hearing that but this could be untrue. Perhaps someone can advise?

Now I realise I probably got my genotypes mixed up with my DNA and my genes because it's about 15 years since I studied biology for the Leaving so feel free to point out what's what to me.

But mainly I'm just wondering if anyone in Ireland can advise me of their experience of buying a reputable DNA test/genome mapping kit?

Thanks,
    Declan

Are you looking for something like this:

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/participate.html

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

There are a few companies that offer a high-density genome-wide genotype profile.

Typically you're required you to send off a cheek swab for DNA extraction. The DNA is typed using a SNP array with probes for hundreds of thousands of individual single-letter positions within the genome that are known to vary between people.

The DNA profile obtained can tell you about your susceptibility to various diseases that are partially or wholly genetic in cause, and can give insight into your ancestry.

There are some concerns people may have. The tests can, for example, indicate if you may have a heightened risk of Parkinson's, Alzheimer's or (rarer) Huntingdon's diseases. That means there's potential for people to get alarmed, quite possibly unduly. The data could also - if multiple family members were tested - reveal unwelcome truths about paternity.

One of the better known companies offering such a service is 23andMe. I know a few people who have used them to get their genomes profiled, with informative and interesting results.

Advertisement