Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Scoring Cork

Options
  • 08-12-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with vets performing hip scores in Cork or near to Cork even?
    I have found 3 veterinary hospitals in Cork that perform them but as the hip scoring can only be performed once by the BVA I just want to make sure I am going to a Vet experienced in performing these.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

To the best of my knowledge any vet can take the x-ray for scoring the hips, but only the BVA can tell you what that score is. just look into how the dog will be anaesthetized, and if your happy with what the vet tells you, proceed.

I don't know if the vet will give you the xrays to send away yourself, or if the vet will offer to send them on your behalf.
    Talk to your vet and make sure the only hip score you get is one issued by the BVA. It's fairly standard and vet's will be doing it often enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Vince32 wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge any vet can take the x-ray for scoring the hips, but only the BVA can tell you what that score is. just look into how the dog will be anaesthetized, and if your happy with what the vet tells you, proceed.

I don't know if the vet will give you the xrays to send away yourself, or if the vet will offer to send them on your behalf.
    Talk to your vet and make sure the only hip score you get is one issued by the BVA. It's fairly standard and vet's will be doing it often enough.

Why Jen is asking for a vet that is experienced in hip scoring is because the BVA will only score a dog once, so if a vet takes the x rays but has the dog in the wrong position, or the xray isn't very good, thats tough, thats what your dog's hip score will be for the rest of its life. Most reputable breeders or dog showers will only use experienced vets for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Ohh right sorry I miss read the question, after thinking about it, shouldn't the vet be able to provide some references from other successful scorings, contact info on other breeders who were happy with the service??

They surely can't expect something so important to be done on blind faith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Gilabbey vets maybe? They deal with a lot if ortho referrels and surgeries so would know what they're doing imo - Shane Guerin is one of if not the best ortho vet in Ireland.

Advertisement