Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving towards the end of pregnancy

Options
  • 08-12-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what are anyone's thoughts on driving in the later stages of pregnancy. I am in the 34th week now. The thing is I'm a shortie, and I'm on top of the steering wheel at the best of times:o. Right now, the gap between my bump and the steering wheel is steadily getting smaller. My GP says it's not a problem, but himself says if I'd to make any bit of a sharp stop, or God forbid, had a tip, the steering wheel would go right into my belly. In fairness, I don't ever have to drive very far, it would be about a 20 mile approx trip to and from my mother's. About 14 miles into town and back, then too. And then just around my own town, for shopping etc. If I'm having a wrecked tired day, I do use the bus. Just don't like the thought of having to give up the freedom to drive, and since I'm having a section, I won't be able to drive for a few weeks then after the birth:(. I heard as well that heavily pregnant women are exempt from wearing a seat belt? I wouldn't even consider driving without the belt to be honest. Though apparently, the seatbelt can do more harm than good to a pregnant woman, in the event of an accident?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think that is outdated, everyone has to wear a seatbelt. You can get a triangle thing on smythes that re-routed the seatbelt away from your bump.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clippasafe-Pregnancy-Car-Seat-Belt/dp/B004JNKKH2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323377359&sr=8-2

Can you play arround with the seat so your further away from the steering wheel. I', 5' 10", so cant really imagine what's possible for you.

Do you find with sciatica that you cant keep you foot on the accelerator? or like me I cant parallel park as I cant turn around. I just have to just the mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Hi. Like you I'm a shortie, 5'1" and I'm right under the steering wheel generally.
    I drove all the time up to the last 2 weeks of my last pregnancy. Even then I only stopped because I didn't want to leave the house. I had my baby in the middle of January this year so walking to the shops would probably have been more dangerous and my husband doesn't drive.

The thing about the seatbelt is outdated and not recommended. In a the event of a car crash the baby is more likely to be hurt because you've been hurt from not wearing a seatbelt than any damage that could be done by the belt. They are well padded in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I had to laugh when I read your post 73cat. I passed my driving test the day before my due date! I was a little bit worried about it and I hadn't done much driving in the run up to it for reasons similar to yourself- concern and just discomfort! Worked out all right for me on the day though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Hi all, yeah I really did wonder about the whole seatbelt exemption thing, that just does not sound right to me! I'd rather not drive, than not wear a seatbelt.

wmpdd3, with my seat as it is my belly is at the very best 2" from the wheel. Any further back, and my little legs just don't reach the pedals comfortably, I'm barely 5 foot. I can recline the seat a bit, but not too much. As for parallel parking, I avoid that at all costs, when not pregnant! Parking is not a strong point of mine, though driving over 3 years now. I was a late starter:o As for the sciatica, if I'm in any bit of pain, I won't drive as it aggravates it. It's in my right leg, so yes, the accelerator and the brake are a problem. It was lashing rain one morning a few weeks back, and tried to drive my 11 yr old the few minutes drive to school so she wouldn't get soaked. I literally had to pull in at the end of our estate, and let her out, the pain was so bad. I wouldn't chance driving into the school when I wasn't confident I could use the brake properly:eek:

annamcmahon, yes that's a good point about the baby being well padded. In general, I don't find driving uncomfortable, I guess it's just when people are looking at me and telling me they think I'm dangerously close to the wheel' it makes me feel that maybe I shouldn't drive now:(. I feel now that God forbid anything should happen, there'd be a whole load of told ya so's!

Lola92, well done on that!! The driving test is a stress at the best of times. Don't think I could have passed it pregnant! That reminds me, I'm sure I heard a woman on the radio recently, saying she realised she was in labour on the day of her test, and still went ahead with it, and passed it too:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I know what you mean about other people commenting. I think if you're comfortable keep driving. Ignore them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I see what you mean, I think I spoke too soon, I drove to the hospital for physio and by the time I got to the door of physio, I was in tears. It was sooo sore, It took 1/2 hour on the tens machine before I could get up again.

I cant imagine not being able to drive, i drove to a friends house last Tuesday and I was crippled afterwards but that was 1hr each way so I expected it.

I guess just stick to you own limits....

Advertisement