Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impact of budget on Postgrad funding support?

Options
  • 08-12-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi all

I am trying to figure out EXACTLY what the budget has changed for anyone considering entering the postgrad system in 2012.

I am a mature student who will be assessed as an independent mature student - as in my earnings in 2011 will be taken into account for what I am eligible for.

BEFORE the budget my understanding was that if I earned less than 22,000 in 2011 then I was eligible to get my fees paid and get the full maintenance grant.

My situation is the same but what will I now be eligible for?

Can i still get my fees paid for 2012? Is there still a grant - has it been cut or completely abolished?

Thanks - I cant seem to find exact details on what the cuts mean to a mature independently assessed student.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Prez2

I've been trying to figure out the exact same.
    Budget 2012: From the 2012/13 academic year, fee grants will only be paid for new postgraduate students if they would previously have qualified for the special rate of grant (see 'Special rates of grants for disadvantaged students' below). In addition, based on their means, a further 4,000 postgraduate students will get a €2,000 fee contribution grant.

That's from the Citizens Information website.

My reading is that a new applicant for 2012/2013 will get a fee grant if they qualify for the special rate while there are no maintenance grants what-so-ever anymore for anyone. The amount you'll get for a fee grant though doesn't seem to have been specified yet.

I cannot make out whether the sentence about the 4,000 students and the €2,000 contribution is related to new applicants or current ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

I could be wrong here but it is my understanding that current students are not being affected (except for the 3% reduction).

As for the new system, it looks like if you would have qualified for the special rate then you'll still get your fees paid. But don't forget, in order to qualify for this you also need one social welfare payment to be counted as income... not just have income below the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

augusta24 wrote: »
    I could be wrong here but it is my understanding that current students are not being affected (except for the 3% reduction).

As for the new system, it looks like if you would have qualified for the special rate then you'll still get your fees paid. But don't forget, in order to qualify for this you also need one social welfare payment to be counted as income... not just have income below the threshold.

One social welfare payment? When though? I was on social welfare for a couple of months in 2010 but not in 2011. Does it have to be in past 12 months?

Are you sure this is the case? Does anyone know where we could find out more about this, would county council offices have info on all this yet?

Printer wrote: »

One social welfare payment? When though? I was on social welfare for a couple of months in 2010 but not in 2011. Does it have to be in past 12 months?

Are you sure this is the case? Does anyone know where we could find out more about this, would county council offices have info on all this yet?

The way I understand it is that for this sept your income for 2011 must be taken into account and you must have a sw included in this income. I think I read somewhere that the sw payment must have been claimed for a long period mayb 9mths or a year? Not sure of the details or where I read that either!

Info here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Current students not being affected?
    In 4th year now need a maintenance grant but also need a year out never taken a break from education

• Advertisement

saa wrote: »
    Current students not being affected?
    In 4th year now need a maintenance grant but also need a year out never taken a break from education

I think it means current postgrad students, someone on an undergrad will be affected by this when they want to start a postgrad

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think it means current postgrad students, someone on an undergrad will be affected by this when they want to start a postgrad

Yes I think this is correct

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement