Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guitar amp head advice

Options
  • 08-12-2011 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hey everyone,
    this is a shout out to all the gear junkies and muso's
    i'm porting over to the dark side and getting away from the combo, ive been threatening this for a while the thing is what to buy, there is a host of great heads on adverts at crazy cheap prices same with donedeal.
    this is what ive been looking at

messa tripple rec.
    messa rec.
    messa stilleto trident
    orange rockverb 100
    orange thunderverb 200
    engle powerball

a bit of insight to my style and sound im chasing. im currently using a blues deville 4x10 with basically all of mayers boteque pedals
    john mayer/dave gilmour, cliche i know. more so the john mayer tone.
    now, i know some of these heads are high gain and suited to metal
    what im looking for is an all rounder really but something i can dial in that sound if i wish and be able to turn to high gain if i wish.

you tube and forums will only bring me so far in terms of what i should be looking at, my ear is pointing directly at ORANGE tho..

any help or insight or advice would be really appreciated.

Ryan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

For who you're aiming for I'd be inclined to stick with Fender but switch to one of their amps that can push more gain if needed.
    I just bought a Super-Sonic and was stunned by how beefy this amp gets when I crank it.
    You could also look for an original Bassman. Famous for being beautiful clean amps and mental over driven amps.

Another thing I'd say is, from experience, unless you REALLY need a head+cab, just buy a nicer combo.
    Stacks take up too much space and you can't turn up the volume enough at home to really get them cooking.
    Although, I do think this is a learning process a lot of guitarists must go through alone. :P

Check out my video here.
    Be warned, it's loud.

Out of what you've picked, the Single Rec' isn't really much use for hi gain and the Triple is too powerful. I've never been a fan of Orange but the Engl won't be great for cleans.
    So for me, I'd probably look elsewhere. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ryanasaur

CianRyan wrote: »
    For who you're aiming for I'd be inclined to stick with Fender but switch to one of their amps that can push more gain if needed.
    I just bought a Super-Sonic and was stunned by how beefy this amp gets when I crank it.
    You could also look for an original Bassman. Famous for being beautiful clean amps and mental over driven amps.

Another thing I'd say is, from experience, unless you REALLY need a head+cab, just buy a nicer combo.
    Stacks take up too much space and you can't turn up the volume enough at home to really get them cooking.
    Although, I do think this is a learning process a lot of guitarists must go through alone. :P

Check out my video here.
    Be warned, it's loud.

Out of what you've picked, the Single Rec' isn't really much use for hi gain and the Triple is too powerful. I've never been a fan of Orange but the Engl won't be great for cleans.
    So for me, I'd probably look elsewhere. :)

the more i think about it the more i still say combo.. i give out having to drag the comb around, what will i be like with a head and cab! did you buy the super sonic head?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I was about to say fender supersonic too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Have you ever checked out Blackstar amps?They make a great range of amps and pedals.I have a series one 200 head and cab and its a savage sounding amp which has lovely cleans and crisp crunch and high gain channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

ryanasaur wrote: »
    the more i think about it the more i still say combo.. i give out having to drag the comb around, what will i be like with a head and cab! did you buy the super sonic head?

Nope, combo, as in the video.
    I had a massively powerful Peavey Triple XXX and a Marshall Randy Rhoads sig' 1960 1x12.
    Great set up but I have to say, the SS is smaller, just as loud when it needs to be, sounds nicer, is lighter and easier to shift around and looks nicer.
    Go Fender!

Black Star make some nice amps alright. I like the Artisan and the Series One.
    Hugely let down by the HT Series though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Of all those amps the Orange Rockerverb would the only one I'd consider. Try one out in Musicmaker if you can, they are seriously tasty amps. Great big clean sound and downright murderous when you really crank it up.

Advertisement