Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo 2006, MK3 - Rear-facing child seat

Options
  • 08-12-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi
    I drive a 2006, Mondeo TDCI, 2L, 130 bhp.
    We have a 13 month old daughter and she has grown out of her first car seat, and we are looking for another. All of the recommendations seem to favour rear-facing child seats up until the baby is 3 or 4 years old (http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/).
    However, we are having difficulty finding one that will fit in the Mondeo. The only one that seems to work is the Britax two way elite, but i am not very enthusiastic about that seat for other reasons.
    I was just wondering if anybody had a rear-facing child seat for their 1 year + baby and if so, what is the make and model of that seat?

I appreciate that people will have differing opinions on the need for a rear-facing child seat once the child is one year old, but this is a different thread. I am not looking for advice on whether it is necessary or not, just to see if anybody has done it successfully.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭useless

The Britax Multi Tech is the one we used. Bought it in late 2009 in some baby supplies shop in Walkinstown so dont know if it's still on the market.
    Its non Isofix. When we changed the car we got an Isofix BeSafe ComfortFix from the same place.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭CarPark2

Hi Useless,
    Did you have a Mondeo Mk3?
    How was the recline with the Britax? We looked at it about two months ago. It was one of the first we looked at, and at the time, it seemed that it had to be fully reclined, just to be level, as the back seat of the mondeo slopes so far backwards.
    however, given that our options are now pretty limited maybe it is time to look at it again.....
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭useless

No, a Volvo S40. We (well, lets be honest- my wife) found that it was the best of a very limited selection. In fact it might have been the only one (non Isofix rear facing group 1) available.
    Our biggest problem was that the seat itself is quite big, so the front passenger seat had to be moved forward a couple of notches in order that the Britax could fit behind it. The S40 is a smaller car inside than a Mondeo though, so you probably wouldnt have this problem.
    This meant that legroom in the S40 for the front seat passenger was a bit compromised, but we got used to it. As for the recline of the child seat, our little one never had a problem with that aspect of the seat. She slept fine in it:-)
    The problem arose when our daughter reached about 2 years old. She's very tall, so this might only become an issue for a 'normal' child at 2.5 or 3. Her legs were too long for the seat, and she hated having to sit with her knees bent for long periods. So we had to turn the seat around so that she'd sit in it. We didnt want to, but it boiled down to a choice of wrestling her into the rf seat and listening to her complain loudly about it every time we took the car out, or have her fwd facing and quiet(er)...

Advertisement