Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch (from Guiness Christmas Ad) advice - a longshot...

Options
  • 08-12-2011 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Guys - looking for this watch for a while now.

No idea who makes it or where i'd pick one up but any help would be appreciated...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

no idea, but i asked Ariel Adams and John Biggs on twitter
    i'll let you know if i get a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Could be U-Boat

12/4/8 seems to be their thing :)

www.u-boatwatch.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Keyzer wrote: »

No idea who makes it or where i'd pick one up but any help would be appreciated...
    hi op, i have a ww with the word guinness on the dial, it has a tin box with guinness on it, pm your email addy for pics if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

flutered wrote: »
    hi op, i have a ww with the word guinness on the dial, it has a tin box with guinness on it, pm your email addy for pics if interested.

I'm looking for that exact watch not a guinness watch - thanks anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Revelry

I'm looking for that exact watch not a guinness watch - thanks anyway...

Pretty sure this is it:
    resize?sq=500&uid=289254395

Looks the same to me anyway.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/COI/English/detail.asp?Country=COI&Language=English&ModelNumber=BM8240-03E&page=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Yeah, the unusual thing about the watch in the ad is the month/date dial as well as the 12, 4, 8

Revelry wrote: »

Dear god !!! I cannot believe you found this...

You've made my day...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Dear god !!! I cannot believe you found this...

You've made my day...

*cough cough* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Brazzer

Is 150 a good price for this? I see there are a good few retailers in and around Dublin, just wondering if you managed to locate one that stocks it OP? Think it might be something himself would like from Santa :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CALCUL

Thanks to Revelry for beating me to it on this one. It is indeed Citizen watch model BM8240-03E. The RRP as noted on the site is €150.

Mods, since Keyzer specifically asked about one of our watches, I've added further info below:

Aside from the obvious features (black dial, day-date, stainless steel case & leather strap), please note as follows:
    • This is an Eco-Drive watch - i.e. it is light powered.
    • It has a power reserve of 180 days, which means that on a full charge, you can put it in a dark drawer for up to 6 months and it will keep time.
    • With normal wear and exposure to light (yes, even in our dark winters!), the power cell will constantly be topped up so most users will never need to "charge" the watch before use.
    • Any kind of light will charge it (natural or artificial), although natural will do the job faster.
    • All Citizen watches sold in Ireland come with our 5-year guarantee.
    We are asked about this one a lot thanks to the Guinness ad. There was even a "Fix It Friday" feature on the Ray Darcy show a year or two ago!

It is a very popular watch and shouldn't be hard to find. There's a retailer locator here: http://www.citizenwatch.com/COI/English/retailer/retailer_home.html

Alternatively, send me a PM and I'll point you towards a retailer close to where you live.

Thanks,

CALCUL
    Bay 20 Free Zone West,
    Shannon, Co Clare.
    (Official Citizen Distributor for Ireland)

• Advertisement

Brazzer wrote: »
    Is 150 a good price for this? I see there are a good few retailers in and around Dublin, just wondering if you managed to locate one that stocks it OP? Think it might be something himself would like from Santa :-)

Found it on Amazon.co.uk for £73 STG...

*cough cough* :pac:

Seriously, I've been looking for this watch for years... the amount of times I have searched in google for black watch from guinness christmas ad is shocking.

Never thought to post on here - didn't even know there was a watches and timepieces forum...

Thanks again...

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Never thought to post on here - didn't even know there was a watches and timepieces forum...

Thanks again...

You know now dude :-) . Dont forget to post a pic here when you get the new watch. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Brazzer

Found it on Amazon.co.uk for £73 STG...

I bought it, thanks a mil, another gift out of the way :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Are they a quartz movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

On the advert it shows the Month and date not the day and date

Was this modified by the ad makers or is there a version / option to show month instead of day ?

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

bedlam wrote: »
    I'd assume it was nothing more than a plot point in the ad and that it was digitally changed in post (similar to how they change the licence plates on cars in the safe driving ads).

That must be it Bedlam. The movement does not feature a month indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Nice watch that. Citizen make a plain watch look quite elegant

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

i got mine aprox 5 years ago ,€80 jewellery shop oppsite taffes pubs on shop street galway, i cracked the glass on the front, any one know where to get replacement, nice watch, graceful, never died even when put in dark press for months on end

chris1970 wrote: »
    i got mine aprox 5 years ago ,€80 jewellery shop oppsite taffes pubs on shop street galway, i cracked the glass on the front, any one know where to get replacement, nice watch, graceful, never died even when put in dark press for months on end

Hello Chris.

We operate the Citizen service centre for Ireland here at our premises in Shannon. You can either go back to the jeweller you bought the watch from and he'll send it to us for you, or you can send it directly to us for repair.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post contact details etc. on this forum, but all the info you need is on www.citizenwatch.com - just click on the Irish flag and then go to the TECH SUPPORT \ SERVICE section.

Please note we close today for the Christmas break though - we will re-open on 4th January.

Thanks,

CALCUL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Im very sorry to dig up such an old thread but I have a question regarding this watch. I see it does not have luminous hands, does anyone know of a model thats close to identical but with luminous hands maybe?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Niman,it lokks 100% the same watch😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Love reading old threads…..

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Yeah looked it to me, but seems to have a different model number to the original one quoted, thought perhaps there might have been some underlying difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Advertisement