Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 euro Christmas

Options
  • 08-12-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

In recent years, my family have started a tradition of only spending 10 euro on a present for each person. The challenge is to get the best thing you can for a tenner ; it saves everyone money they need.

My question: What's the best thing you can buy for 10 euro?

I'm not looking for ideas, just curious what you would get people if you only had a tenner to spend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Jonjo? is that you?

a million penny jellies

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Into Pennys with you for jammies, everyone loves jammies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

a million penny jellies

You'll need to throw a few extra zeros on the end of your tenner first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

a million penny jellies

Ah no, 1 million penny jellies in old money would be £10,000 punts which equates to 12,700 Euro, a tad over-budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

40 Wham Bars....will cost them a fortune in dentistry tho :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

10 scratchcards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

As annoboy said a book or multiple books (see bookdepository.co.uk). I wish people would stop buying me clothes and ****é I don't want and stick to buying me books!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Me and my sister decided to only spend a tenner on each other this year. Wel, I put the idea forward really, as she usually spends a max of a tenner on me anyway whereas I spend around £100 on her! I'm too poor this year to keep that up.

I don't have many suggestions though, as I'm a bit stuck on what to buy too. I think I'll stick to one item though, rather than a load of cheap, useless crap. (like I always recieve):o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    As annoboy said a book or multiple books (see bookdepository.co.uk). I wish people would stop buying me clothes and ****é I don't want and stick to buying me books!
    What if they buy you books you don't want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

moco wrote: »
    Me and my sister decided to only spend a tenner on each other this year. Wel, I put the idea forward really, as she usually spends a max of a tenner on me anyway whereas I spend around £100 on her!

Do you fancy your sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Do you fancy your sister?

:confused:

I'm female if that helps.

I'm 31 and she's 25. I used to always think... she's younger, has no money etc., but it's about time she grew up so I'm not spoiling her anymore!

You'll need to throw a few extra zeros on the end of your tenner first!
    MayoForSam wrote: »
    Ah no, 1 million penny jellies in old money would be £10,000 punts which equates to 12,700 Euro, a tad over-budget.

Sounds familiar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

I'm 31 and she's 25. I used to always think... she's younger, has no money etc., but it's about time she grew up so I'm not spoiling her anymore!

awwwww....girl on girl :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

A hamper full of facemasks and sponges and stuff
    http://planetgreen.discovery.com/fashion-beauty/50-all-natural-beauty-products-you-can-make-yourself.html
    ^that's a good website if you can't afford to buy masks etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

A €10 Tesco voucher... every little helps.

I'm 31 and she's 25.

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Abi wrote: »
    Jonjo? is that you?

No, his is capped at €2 between all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Eever

My siblings and I have done a kris kindle the last few years so that we can spend a bit more and each person actually gets something decent that they want, rather than three crappy presents (we do up wish lists).

I've bought one or two presents for a tenner this year (sister in law, friend & work kk) and they're all getting little girly night in gift baskets:

3 x baskets €6
    3 x DVDs €8
    3 x mini bottles of wine €10
    box of microwave popcorn (3 x packets) can't remember but less than €2 I think
    3 x face masks €2.25
    6 x nail files €1
    set of hand cream type toiletries (3 bottles) €4

So that made up 3 gift baskets for a girly night in containing a dvd, bottle of wine, microwave popcorn, facemask, nail file & handcream for about €11 each. Slightly over your tenner budget but not enough that it'd matter.

Having typed all that out I now realise how incredibly cheap I am. I think I might belong in the "stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do" thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

A large bag of chicken balls & chips with a can of coke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Stick €8 in a card.

Cards are about €2 these days aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Stick €8 in a card.

Cards are about €2 these days aren't they?

Stick €10 in an envelope please, fuck the card.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

If it was me I'd pay an extra few euro to get a bottle of baileys and I'd pretend I only paid a tenner for it.

I hate scabby presents.

I'd rather get no present than some bit of tat that cost ten quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Eever wrote: »
    So that made up 3 gift baskets for a girly night in containing a dvd, bottle of wine, microwave popcorn, facemask, nail file & handcream for about €11 each. Slightly over your tenner budget but not enough that it'd matter.

Sounds lovely.
    Eever wrote: »
    Having typed all that out I now realise how incredibly thoughtful and generous and sensible about money I am.

FYP

Most of us will buy the stuff we really want for ourselves. I've got most of the stuff I need/want. I don't want more stuff cluttering up the place, or that I'll have to plaster a grin on my face for as I hypocritically thank the giver, or that I'll march off down to the charity shop the minute they open again. By far I'd rather get something like Eever's thoughtful gift basket which I would actually use, than something expensive which I really didn't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

TheChevron wrote: »
    What if they buy you books you don't want?

I have a list on amazon of the books I'd like, but they generally know what I like as we often discuss books and what we are currently reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Into Pennys with you for jammies, everyone loves jammies.

+1 for jammies!! It's the only thing on my wishlist :pac:

Dunnes have great cuddly clothes and socks too... Imagine how snug Christmas would be if everyone got jammies, slippers and blankies :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I hate scabby presents.

I'd rather get no present than some bit of tat that cost ten quid.

glad to see the spirit of christmas is still alive and well... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Advertisement