Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couldn't buy cigarettes in Rome Airport

Options
  • 08-12-2011 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Just back from Rome, I was not allowed to buy buy cigarettes in the airport shop, sales woman said no cigarettes allowed to be brought to England, i said I'm not going to England but Ireland, she said same thing, is this the case??

If i new i would have just bought them in a shop in Rome as they were more or less the same price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You can't get duty-free goods unless you have a ticket for flight out of the EU. You can however pay the normal price for smokes usually (in Dublin you can). Maybe in Rome they have a duty-free only section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

This happened to me many years ago. My dad tried to buy a few boxes of cigarettes in the airport in rome but after looking at his boarding pass, the sales clerk refused to make the sale.

That was 7 years ago so it's nothing new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 petroltimer2

just that this has never happened in any other European airport, but maybe they only sell them to non eu flyers only since there was only one price on the boxes. Just a pity I didn't know as they were not much cheaper than the Rome city shop prices,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

This is not a Politics Thread

Cheers

DrG

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thread moved as the OP might get an explanation here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just shop policy, I guess. There's no law against it; they just haven't bothered setting up their systems to allow duty-paid purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

srsly78 wrote: »
    You can't get duty-free goods unless you have a ticket for flight out of the EU. You can however pay the normal price for smokes usually (in Dublin you can). Maybe in Rome they have a duty-free only section.

You can't buy Duty Paid cigarettes in Dublin anymore,only duty free to destinations outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

lord lucan wrote: »
    You can't buy Duty Paid cigarettes in Dublin anymore,only duty free to destinations outside the EU.

I suspect that there might not have been much demand for duty-paid cigarettes in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I suspect that there might not have been much demand for duty-paid cigarettes in Dublin.

No demand and they'd have to stock 2 versions of the same cigarette,a duty free one and a duty paid one. More trouble than it's worth but still confuses the hell out of people from continental europe who don't understand why they don't sell cigarettes to them. Their reactions are hilarious though when they get told the potential price of duty paid cigarettes!:)

In saying that,you do get some people travelling who are visiting family/friends within the EU who are willing to pay full whack just so they can surprise them with Irish cigarettes like JPB/Carrolls or Major which they may not have had in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I bought cigarettes in Rome airport 36 euro for 200.When i was leaving the shop i was approached by a security guard and was told that i should not have been sold them(this was a non duty free shop aswell it was a newsagents)he said i could keep them he gave the lady that sold them to me a grilling.It was strange
    no explanation was given to why i could not buy them only ever happened in Rome

• Advertisement
Advertisement