Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof warm coat for a Retriever?

Options
  • 08-12-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi all just wondering if anyone her knows where I can get a REASONABLY priced
    Waterproof warm coat for a Retriever? My chap Hates the cold & wind & want to get him something to help keep him warm when out walking in the bad weather we are getting @ the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Does he not have a waterproof coat already? You know.. on him.

Not trying to be (too) smart, but I wouldn't be too keen on putting an additional coat on him. It might be justifiable for small dogs, but I would be afraid that he would get dehydrated on a walk in a jacket.

What specific breed is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

He is a Golden Retriever - I know what you are saying about his coat being a natural barrier BUT he is a total indoor dog, looks as if he is suffering from hypothermia when let outside in the morning ... after 5 mins.

PLUS have you tried getting a Goldie dry when soaked:) He is a bit chap @ 40+kgs & takes about 30 mins with the hairdryer to get him dry!
    syklops wrote: »

Not trying to be (too) smart, but I wouldn't be too keen on putting an additional coat on him. It might be justifiable for small dogs, but I would be afraid that he would get dehydrated on a walk in a jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If he's anything like my golden he has a waterproof top coat which is fine for a light shower but in heavier rain the undercoat will get wet and hold the water and will take ages to dry if you don't have a blaster/dryer(I have one and it's a godsend! :) ) or fire to park them in front of. Also he'll have long hair on his legs and tummy that gets soaked and mucky just by walking on wet grass or footpaths...
    OP I have an Ancol Stormguard coat for my guy and find it brilliant. It has snap buttons on the leg straps which are really handy instead of having to lift their legs thru and it covers his chest too. It keeps him nice and dry and he's able to walk/run/play/roll around in it and it doesn't slip to the side. My only gripe with it is that it drips when you take it off so you have to wring it/let it drip over the bath - I throw it in the washing machine on a quick wash for 30 mins ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Does he run around when 'let' out or does he just stand there looking miserable?
    PLUS have you tried getting a Goldie dry when soaked He is a bit chap @ 40+kgs & takes about 30 mins with the hairdryer to get him dry!

Hair dryer? No, I never used a hair dryer on any dog. A towel is all I ever used. How old is he?

Runs around for 2 mins & then sits at back door & gives you the "Puppy Eyes" - he is only 1:)
    Does he run around when 'let' out or does he just stand there looking miserable?

Hair dryer? No, I never used a hair dryer on any dog. A towel is all I ever used. How old is he?

• Advertisement

Thanks tk123 - exactly what I am looking for & not pricey so thank you:)
    tk123 wrote: »
    If he's anything like my golden he has a waterproof top coat which is fine for a light shower but in heavier rain the undercoat will get wet and hold the water and will take ages to dry if you don't have a blaster/dryer(I have one and it's a godsend! :) ) or fire to park them in front of. Also he'll have long hair on his legs and tummy that gets soaked and mucky just by walking on wet grass or footpaths...
    OP I have an Ancol Stormguard coat for my guy and find it brilliant. It has snap buttons on the leg straps which are really handy instead of having to lift their legs thru and it covers his chest too. It keeps him nice and dry and he's able to walk/run/play/roll around in it and it doesn't slip to the side. My only gripe with it is that it drips when you take it off so you have to wring it/let it drip over the bath - I throw it in the washing machine on a quick wash for 30 mins ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I actually did a review of it a while back - there's some pics of him in it so you can get an idea of what it looks like : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73836864

Advertisement