Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a wall between gardens

Options
  • 08-12-2011 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a house at the moment. It is a 3 bed semi detached. The garden adjoins the garden next door. I have a dog and would like to build a wall around the full perimeter if I was to buy this house. I was thinking of building it about 5 feet high on each side and at the front with wooden gates.

Do I need a) planning permission and b) permission from the neighbour?

Thanks

C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,932 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Walls forward of the front building line of a house are exempt up to 1.2m high. Walls behind the front building line are exempt up to 2.0m high. Just check that there is nothing in planning permission (granted for house if applicable) that restricts the height of walls or indeed walls generally.

When building a wall you will have to put in a foundation. That foundation should not be placed past the boundary line unless you have your neighbours consent. Effectively if you want the wall built on the boundary you will need consent and get it in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭chrisp2281

muffler wrote: »
    Walls forward of the front building line of a house are exempt up to 1.2m high. Walls behind the front building line are exempt up to 2.0m high. Just check that there is nothing in planning permission (granted for house if applicable) that restricts the height of walls or indeed walls generally.

When building a wall you will have to put in a foundation. That foundation should not be placed past the boundary line unless you have your neighbours consent. Effectively if you want the wall built on the boundary you will need consent and get it in writing.

So basically, if I do it all on my side of the property line, I don't need their permission and can go ahead.

That's great. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

chrisp2281 wrote: »
    So basically, if I do it all on my side of the property line, I don't need their permission and can go ahead.

That's great. Thanks

You should research this topic further on this forum because it has been discussed very recently:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056362004

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75592506

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75000416

If you proceed as planned u run the risk of creating a new smaller boundary for your property unless you amend the legal site map to suit.

In addition in practice it ill be impossible to work 100% from you own side and if you or the builder transgress into someone else's property without consent you run the risk of seriously costly litigation.

I had a case recently where the owner/builder and trades just kept trespassing and gave the old couple who were the 'trespassed' neighbours the 2 fingers, the legals for the house owner were close to 80k which he refusing to pay so the old couple are going to try bankrupt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭picorette

Good walls make good neighbours, they say.

However, if you are building up to the boundary, it is always better to consult with your neighbour, out of courtesy and for good relations with somebody you will be living close to for many years.

You have the information that you can build up to 2m in the rear garden on your side, but approaching it diplomatically would be the best way forward. They may even agree to contribute financially if you construct it as a party wall.

Picorette

Advertisement