Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servants to Receive €84m in pay increases next year

Options
  • 08-12-2011 8:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Just heard this on the News (no links yet). If it's true then it is mind-boggling. In a week where savage cuts have been deployed, life in the CS bubble rumbles on, oblivious to the fact that the employer (Ireland Inc) is bankrupt.

It is soul-destroying to hear the government whimper 'legally we can't do anything'.

Bollocks. They can change everything for everyone else. These people should be no different.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jaysus that's some pay increase.

But I really think giving them each €84m more is a bit steep!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Are many other first world countries this retarded?
    Want to know what level of despair I should attribute to the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

hmmm...how would you go about getting a job in the civil service?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

I can't find anything related to this- do you've a link?

Or are you talking about the figure that was mentioned in the budget? If so, it wasn't a pay rise, it's increased pension payments due to the amount retiring to reduce numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I'll buy you all a drink when I get my 84 million..wait, I don't get a payrise.

Rabble rabble rabble, PS, it's a joke, they should put Michael O'Leary in charge, rabble. Etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

€84 million? For pay increases?

Pfft we should have signed Cristiano Ronaldo instead :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If it is true it doesn't surprise me nor anger me. There were agreements made with the unions and in employee contracts and they should be held up. If the governemnt sticks to some riddiculious agreements with private companies it should stick to agreements with its own employees.

Most of the pay "rises" I would think are salary increments due to grade increases or long service.

How would you feel if you got a qualification on your own personal time to go up a grade and were then told sorry you can go up the grade but no pay increase. Meanwhile the guy beside you is getting paid more on the same grade?

If the government should do anything it should review displinary procedure so people ducking work in the CS get seriously repremanded. They'd save a fortune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Eh? Is this news? I thought it was common knowledge that the public sector were getting pay increments next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Are people genuinely surprised by this. The Croke park deal means these guys are untouchable. Suck it up guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I can't find anything related to this- do you've a link?

Or are you talking about the figure that was mentioned in the budget? If so, it wasn't a pay rise, it's increased pension payments due to the amount retiring to reduce numbers.

It probably relates to annual increments that are generally in the region of 3%.
    Frankly these should have been suspended during the current economic crisis.
    These increments are the equivalent of a bankrupt company in administration that still awards a pay rise and bonuses to it's employees.
    As for the cry from the PS of ‘we’re taken our share of cuts and pain’, pretty much all of these cuts have been eroded over the past three years by increments that have more or less restored their pay back to the level it was at pre-cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It doesn't sound right to me but, I often wonder if something like this makes much difference. A lot of this money will just be circulated around the country, in essence it's like pumping money into the economy isn't it? That's meant to be a good thing isn't it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    If it is true it doesn't surprise me nor anger me. There were agreements made with the unions and in employee contracts and they should be held up. If the governemnt sticks to some riddiculious agreements with private companies it should stick to agreements with its own employees.

Most of the pay "rises" I would think are salary increments due to grade increases or long service.

How would you feel if you got a qualification on your own personal time to go up a grade and were then told sorry you can go up the grade but no pay increase. Meanwhile the guy beside you is getting paid more on the same grade?

If the government should do anything it should review displinary procedure so people ducking work in the CS get seriously repremanded. They'd save a fortune.
    I would agree with much of this RP especially the last paragraph, but the bit in bold is one of the reasons we find ourselves in this financial hole. More to the point why we'll bloody well struggle to get out of it. Circumstances change. Any agreement, in the public or private sector, drawn up in a time of plenty cannot be expected to remain untouched. It's beyond daft financially and just plugs more and more into the sense of entitlement people grew over the last 2 decades. If a private company doing well increases pay, they can't be expected to continue on that level of pay when sales go down massively. They either let go a load of people or they seek to reduce costs and pay being one of the biggies. This seems to be an equation too far for the unions and most lefties.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What do you expect. Civil Servants are permanent government. The people with no faces who make the decisions but never take responsibility. The people the politicians are really afraid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

and of course theres nothing at all about all the private sector companies giving their staff a pay increase next year... tis the same public sector bashing that goes on and on like a broken record.the major problem with stopping increments in the actual unfairness of stopping them on those that are nowhere near the maximum level of the scale while those on the top level wont be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

wait...didn't we have this thread only yesterday or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Wibbs wrote: »
    Circumstances change. Any agreement, in the public or private sector, drawn up in a time of plenty cannot be expected to remain untouched..
    But they did this already, the unions agreed to a ton of changes to help with cost saving measures. Effectively if the bring in a procedure employees have to do regardless of pervious agreements and then later bring it up as a disputed procedure. That is a massive change for any union to agree. Salaries are frozen, recruitment ban.

THe government have set that they cannot change an agreement with the private sector so they really shouldn't do it to their own employees after already agreeing to massive changes. Salary increments aren't really raises and you can suspend them as you have two people on the same grade being paid differently.

I don't work in CS but I know the system and it is relatively equitable and can't be messed around too much with out bigger issues. They aren't really raises but the cost of employement

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

wait...didn't we have this thread only yesterday or something?

Yea but...we need at least one a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

It doesn't sound right to me but, I often wonder if something like this makes much difference. A lot of this money will just be circulated around the country, in essence it's like pumping money into the economy isn't it? That's meant to be a good thing isn't it?

No in essence it's like a bankrupt country borrowing additional money from the IMF/EU to keep our public servants in the style they've become accustomed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

When the country really goes tits up, these people will still complain of not getting their increases.

What a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

and of course theres nothing at all about all the private sector companies giving their staff a pay increase next year... tis the same public sector bashing that goes on and on like a broken record.the major problem with stopping increments in the actual unfairness of stopping them on those that are nowhere near the maximum level of the scale while those on the top level wont be affected.

I work in the private sector, I took a 10% wage cut this year and it's looking like I'll be facing the same again next year. It's not because I'm crap at my job, it's because if my colleagues and I don't take these paycuts the company would have to close down. Several friends are in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Which ones exactly? Do you have to suffer tax rises to pay for these peoples "entitlements"? Honestly your argument is seriously flawed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

and of course theres nothing at all about all the private sector companies giving their staff a pay increase next year...
    Yes but the private sector pay increases will not be paid for by people's taxes
    / welfare cuts...
    A lot of this money will just be circulated around the country, in essence it's like pumping money into the economy isn't it? That's meant to be a good thing isn't it?
    By that logic, the government should hand out money to everyone - after all we'll just spend it in the economy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

/start code
    <<find tags "Civil Service", "Bashing", "Pay Increase", "Robbers", "Disgrace">>
    ...<< Insert "Generic Response = x" From THREAD
    .....>>Goto 20 Line 10 Use THIS POST>>
    .......<<Gen PM To Mod456189G "This is not Spam, Just Saving Time"
    /end code

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Plazaman wrote: »
    /start code
    <<find tags "Civil Service", "Bashing", "Pay Increase", "Robbers", "Disgrace">>
    ...<< Insert "Generic Response = x" From THREAD
    .....>>Goto 20 Line 10 Use THIS POST>>
    .......<<Gen PM To Mod456189G "This is not Spam, Just Saving Time"
    /end code

I concur.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let any AH mod know when there's a link for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement