Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends gone bad

Options
  • 08-12-2011 4:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

My rabbit and guinea pig used to be the best of friends - both male - but since they've grown up they just want to tear into each other. Is that the way it'll always be? Nothing I can do about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

get them neutered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Rabbits and guinea pigs are very different animals, they don't make suitable companions for each other, they need different diets. A rabbit can deliver a very powerful kick which could break a leg or even kill the guinea pig. You need to house them separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

piggies and rabbits should never be housed together. i think people think they should be because for some strange reason pet shops have them together. the only thing you can do to make sure one dont get seriously hurt is to seperate them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

+1 on the above comments. They should not be housed together at all. You need to seperate them ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Definitely agree with the above, rabbits can be dangerous to guinea pigs and they also have different dietary requirements.
    corktina wrote: »
    get them neutered.

Neutering guinea pigs does not change their behaviour. Pigs should only be neutered if they have to live with a female. It doesn't help males to get along with each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Amazing what testosterone can do. I once had two cockerels, raised from eggs, and they were so happy together, until the first spring when maturity hit and the hormones came in. They fought and fought and even a bucket of water over them had no effect..... They had to be literally pulled apart and then separated permanently.

Advertisement