Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling bike outside the country via eBay

Options
  • 08-12-2011 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

I am considering selling my bike and if I do so, will put it on eBay. However, as it is a bit rare (make and model isn't important here), it is possible that any buyer might be from outside the state.

I have two main queries
    1. How does the export process actually work? Do I inform Shannon and send my paperwork down there? If so, what do I send the buyer so that he/she/they can re-register the bike in their own country? If not, how do I prove to the people in Shannon that they don't have to worry about sending me reminders for road tax?

2. How does the process of shipping via a container or small box work?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

well you can add all the shipping costs to it if you want to sell abroad be wary of scammers though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

whoami1 wrote: »
    I have two main queries
    1. Do I inform Shannon and send my paperwork down there? If so, what do I send the buyer so that he/she/they can re-register the bike in their own country? If not, how do I prove to the people in Shannon that they don't have to worry about sending me reminders for road tax?

Send Shannon a letter with a copy of the ebay receipt and the delivery note explaining that the bike has been permanently exported. Send all of the bike documents to the new owner - they will need appropriate VIN certification (the logbook) in order to register it abroad. Don't send the documents with the bike.

2. How does the process of shipping via a container or small box work?

If you can't crate it yourself, or get a used crate from a bike dealer (new bikes come in in very nice wooden boxes) then there are companies who will come to you and make a crate around the bike for you. Pricey though. Have a look on shiply.com or other courier site.

I would list it as 'Collection only' and let the buyer worry about it - its common for Irish buyers to head to the UK with a van or a helmet and bring bikes back.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ya id put it as collection only and if the buyer wants it abroad they need to arrange all the shipping details aswell as collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭amacca

is it an Italian bike?

salivating at the thought of a rare duke or a guzzi or a bimota etc here

oooh the not knowing is killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

Thanks folks for all the replies. No, it's not Italian...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Thanks folks for all the replies...

So press the thanks button and spread the love. I should have pointed out that I have no interest in what it is.

'c

Advertisement