Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody taken the GAMSAT

Options
  • 07-12-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi . I would be a mature student graduate . Toiling with the GAMSAT.

Has anybody taken it?

how did you get on ?

Any info help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Whole forum dedicated to it here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1512

Identify some weaknesses (biological, chemical, language, writing).
    Strengthen those weaknesses.
    Do practice tests.
    Try and find a group to study with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I sat the GAMSAT in UL in 2009. I was on Co-Op Placement in Shannon (3rd year of undergrad) at the time and decided I would go for it, having been seriously thinking about graduate medicine for some time. Having not read any science worth talking about since the Leaving Cert, and coming from a non-life sciences background (Business Studies in UL for undergrad) certainly didn't help. Working during the days and having only three months of preperation time in advance meant spending pretty much every evening and all weekend in the library, as well as trying to do some reading at lunch times etc.

I scored quite well in Section 1, very well in Section 2 and OK-ish in Section 3, resulting in a 52 overall. The thing about the GAMSAT is however, you need to score very well in Section 3 in particular as it is weighted twice that of the other two (I was fairly happy with my score as I never really thought I would get within arms reach the first time round, and always knew I would need to take two sittings if I was to go for it).

It is certainly a tough exam, but I think if you really put the work in to it, regardless of your academic background, it is certainly possible to attain a satisfactory score. As sid_justice points out, there is loads of discussion on the GAMSAT and GEM fourm, with many UL GEM students posting I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭para45

Thank you . Sorry , common mistake on my behalf should have search more on Boards for Gamsat. Just did a quick check on LU threads and didnt see any so presumed non .

Thank you for the advise . Much apreciated

ImDave wrote: »
    I sat the GAMSAT in UL in 2009. I was on Co-Op Placement in Shannon (3rd year of undergrad) at the time and decided I would go for it, having been seriously thinking about graduate medicine for some time. Having not read any science worth talking about since the Leaving Cert, and coming from a non-life sciences background (Business Studies in UL for undergrad) certainly didn't help. Working during the days and having only three months of preperation time in advance meant spending pretty much every evening and all weekend in the library, as well as trying to do some reading at lunch times etc.

I scored quite well in Section 1, very well in Section 2 and OK-ish in Section 3, resulting in a 52 overall. The thing about the GAMSAT is however, you need to score very well in Section 3 in particular as it is weighted twice that of the other two (I was fairly happy with my score as I never really thought I would get within arms reach the first time round, and always knew I would need to take two sittings if I was to go for it).

It is certainly a tough exam, but I think if you really put the work in to it, regardless of your academic background, it is certainly possible to attain a satisfactory score. As sid_justice points out, there is loads of discussion on the GAMSAT and GEM fourm, with many UL GEM students posting I believe.

So was that good enough to pass what are the mass marks as I looked on the website and its seams like a complicated method of scoring etc with the formulas re more weight to section 3 etc

There are no pass marks. The score you get overall is given to you as a percentile. People are offered places in GEM schools based on their percentile score. Those with higher scores get offered places first.

I think the 'cut off' for offers last year was about 54 for UL. It's changed every year.

• Advertisement

Morning nice early start to the day. Did you get them and what year are you in now

yr2

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

accidentally posted in this thread as I was referring to it in another. Delete away mod. Thanks

Advertisement