Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

corrective age?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

hi all ,can someone please explain this as we're hearing alot about it and it's really confusing when people talk about it where and when it's used.
    purple was due 19th jan @ 40 weeks
    due to be sectioned 5th jan @ 38 weeks
    twins born 2 nov @ 29 weeks.
    if this is to much information mods please feel free to edit.
    with thanks from double and purple.
    oops meant to post in newborns, sorry :o

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Corrected age applies to premature babies which means babies born before 37 weeks.

So if babies were born at 29 weeks she has her actual age and the age she should be.
    I am not sure but think it is calculated on 40 weeks so if the child is 36 weeks old they are 25 corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

It's the other way, when they are six months old they will be three months corrected because they were born nearly three months premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Corrected age is used to monitor milestones, etc. To measure your baby's corrected age, take the number of months since birth and subtract the number of months that the baby was born early.
    My daughter was born just over 8 weeks premature. I would recommend Irish Premature Babies, the website has a lot of information and they are a great support network.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

A normal gestation is 38 - 40 weeks. Your babies were born at 29 weeks, when they are 1 month old there corrected age will be 33 weeks, as in if they hadnt been born you would be 33 weeks pregnant. Your babies were born 11 weeks early so will reach there full gestational age when they are 11 weeks old, to you they will be 11 weeks old, for medical and developmental purposes they will be term.

Advertisement