Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking Bargains!

Options
  • 07-12-2011 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Had a notion that it might be handy to post up some bargains for us bakers.

Baking can be expensive enough as a hobby, so maybe places to find cheaper quality ingredients and tools might be helpful?

At the moment centra are doing 454g butter for only €1. Handy for the Xmas baking!

Also came across this really great Sugarcraft cutter set on amazon for only €20 for 30 pieces!

And euro2 shops are doing kilner jars for €1.

Any takers?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Will check out Centra if I don't forget tomorrow, have to get a load of ingredients for the weekend, will keep an eye out for the jars as well. Saw some in the 2 Euro shop with snowman teddy heads on them I'll get a better look tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Wow that cutter set is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

that cutter set is an amazing price, I paid 7euro for one little plunger, snowflake one in Kitchen Compliments the other day, ragin now :s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I know! I'll let ye know after christmas if they're of good quality...but the reviews seem to be excellent!

Dunnes stores have their "Bake with" range of nuts and dried fruit 3 for 2 at the moment!;)

I have all those cutters, looks to be the PME range, should be awesome, great bargain find!

Tesco are doing their Christmas Baking offers at the mo, they often do 2 x 2kg bags of Odlum's flour for €4.00, good value. 1kg of caster sugar is €1 in Lidl, almost half the cost of Tesco.

Aldi have lots of good baking offers in the run up to Christmas, fondant, almond paste etc.

• Advertisement

Is it just me but I find the Aldi flour works better than the Odlums, although 2 for €4 is a really good deal and they're Irish. Centra was sold out of the butter going to try again tomorrow.
    I managed to get Vanilla bean paste (so so happy it's pathetic how happy I am) but wasn't cheap.
    Dr Oetker in Tesco were selling some of their sprinkles for cheaper than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Aldi flour is Odlums... so you are still buying Irish! +1 on Dr Oetker in Tesco, they have a few items currently very cheap (flavourings, certain colourings, sprinkles) at less than 1euro. I suspect they are discontinuing, which is a shame.

I dunno, our Tesco does amazing deals often on lots of stuff and it doesn't get discontinued, generally just when an order was too big or something.

Our Tesco is pretty rubbish and it's pot luck if they have something in stock but once I see something I have to grab it straight away just in casey.

Thanks for the Tip on the butter OP. I picked up 4 packets of it, bargain of the week! Have a shed load of cupcakes to make tomorrow.

Advertisement