Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carol singers and what to do with them

Options
  • 07-12-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Ok so it's over two weeks to Christmas and I've had carol singers call to my door after 6pm for the last two nights.

Both nights it was just a few youngsters chancing their arm.

Getting a bit sick of it now. I told them I had no money.

I'm at home with my daughter and I have better things to be doing.

What's the best way to deal with this a) ignore or b) ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Depends really, I wouldnt give the chancers a second of my time but if they are an organized crew with a bit of talent then id happily give 'em a few quid.

I do feel very awkward though, just standing there being serenaded by a bunch of strangers at my doorstep. I prefer to just give them a few bob and send them on their merry merry way but that might be a bit rude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Yeah the problem I have though is that my daughter is 5 and thinks anyone singing is great. Two young lads (complete chancers with not a note between them) just called and when I told them I'd no money and it was too early for Christmas singing they left but my daughter was crying then as she hadn;t heard them sing blah blah blah...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone so have no problem with carol singers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

brianon wrote: »
    I told them I'd no money and it was too early for Christmas singing they left but my daughter was crying then as she hadn;t heard them sing blah blah blah...

Hi OP
    Yeah maybe as Posy suggested don't answer the door or if you can, check to see who's at the door before you answer.
    Regarding the Carol singing, would you be able to bring her down town? There's usually schools/singing groups carol singing round this time, and it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭scotchy

Just had two girls call to the door Carol singing claiming to be collecting for SVP.

Talking to them for a few minutes I reckon they are Travellers. Gave them a €5er to get rid of them, but in the back of my mind, I knew they were bogus.

Now, the more I think about it the more annoyed I’m getting, because I’m convinced they were lying about the SVP, and the idea I gave money to someone presenting themselves as SVP volunteer’s in order to scam money makes me sick.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement

10:45pm and two young lads call to the door. ffs ! 10:45pm!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

brianon wrote: »
    10:45pm and two young lads call to the door. ffs ! 10:45pm!!!!!!!!!!
    mabe they called earlier and you were out! gotta admire their dedication at this hour on a friday night:pac:

mabe they called earlier and you were out! gotta admire their dedication at this hour on a friday night:pac:

No no. They called earlier in the week alright.
    And I use the words "Carol Singers" in the loosest possible way. Two teenagers with santa hats and a pringle box collecting money for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I lived in an estate before and the kids used start caroling at the start of December. At the start I gave them money but when they were calling every night I started giving them a packet of tayto or a few biscuits. From my experience they were kids that didnt have a lot so I didnt mind giving to them but I stopped giving them money incase it was the parents sending them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

stick a sign on the door saying something like 'no carol singers please', disconnect the bell,chain or padlock the gate shut if have got a gate,they dont have a legal right to be answered so it is perfectly ok not to bother with them.

they never ever bother our place as its a registered residential home and well recognised as one,we only ever get trouble at halloween-they dont say trick or treat first though they just egg the windows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Just don't open the door, as Posy said I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

just got a crew of them now! about 3 or 4 of 'em pushed to the door by the mammy, sing badly for about ten seconds then just stare blankly waiting for money. it's basically begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

just got a crew of them now! about 3 or 4 of 'em pushed to the door by the mammy, sing badly for about ten seconds then just stare blankly waiting for money. it's basically begging.

Are these the wren boys? Dressed up? My cousins usually do this round their way and they make a heap of money.

That's exactly what it is. Well put.

We got young lads (< 10 years of age) at 7pm on Christmas Eve and then again yesterday ffs.

Advertisement