Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counter Surfing

Options
  • 07-12-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

My 2 have recently started counter surfing and we are trying to discourage it as neither of us really like the idea and we do have to watch what the little girl eats as we need to keep her weight down. Any suggestions on how to stop it, (and yeh we know put the stuff away:rolleyes::rolleyes:). We've tried the hiding around the corner but they now we're there, i've tried mustard on food hoping it'd discourage them but they like the taste :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Time to teach them leave it, take it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

They already do leave/take it and i can leave stuff on the table or the floor and they're fine but the worktop seems to have a fascination for them lol

I practiced with my guy by lining treats along the counter lol :D

Yup did that today and they left them fine while i was there, then i put mustard on 6 pieces of Ham thinking if they didn't like the taste it'd reinforce that things on worktop not tasty. Never went near them while i was in the kitchen and saying leave, i walked into the lounge and back again and all six had gone so the mustard didn't put them off after the first taste they'd gone back for seconds and thirds :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I had the very same problem, the food would stay there all night as long as I was there but if I went to answer the door it would be gone by the time I got back.

I ended up borrowing a second laptop, leaving one in the kitchen and setting up a Skype call with video, brought the second laptop upstairs and when he jumped up to get the food I shouted 'No, leave it'. It freaked the willies out of him that I could know what he was doing and the problem pretty much went away :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I had the very same problem, the food would stay there all night as long as I was there but if I went to answer the door it would be gone by the time I got back.

I ended up borrowing a second laptop, leaving one in the kitchen and setting up a Skype call with video, brought the second laptop upstairs and when he jumped up to get the food I shouted 'No, leave it'. It freaked the willies out of him that I could know what he was doing and the problem pretty much went away

Genius :D:D:D:D
    I need to try that on the dogs, cats and daughter:p

I ended up borrowing a second laptop, leaving one in the kitchen and setting up a Skype call with video, brought the second laptop upstairs and when he jumped up to get the food I shouted 'No, leave it'. It freaked the willies out of him that I could know what he was doing and the problem pretty much went away :D

Fantastic idea thank you, i'll use one of the kids pcs and try it. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

I had a foster that was a terror for counter surfing.

I did eventually break the habit. You'll need to clear everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) off the counter. If you need to leave food out to defrost for example, just leave it in the microwave or in the oven instead. Clean down counters after cooking or preparing food.

If you see the dog even thinking about jumping up, let out a high pitched noise to distract them from that train of thought and then say something like 'leave it' or 'down'. (I think my neighbours were on the verge of calling the men in white coats for me... I spent weeks in the kitchen 'EEEEEEEP'ing at poor Dasher) Then reward with a nice tasty treat like a little piece of liver.

piperh wrote: »
    Fantastic idea thank you, i'll use one of the kids pcs and try it. :D:D

I'm going to try this too for a laugh and see what he does!! :pac:

Advertisement