Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoebox full of pressies - alternative to plastic toys

Options
  • 07-12-2011 3:06pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have 4 kids to buy christmas pressies for this year. So I wanted something a bit different from the normal plastic junk that's going to be filling up everyone's houses. I've settled on the idea of a shoe box divided into compartments and need some ideas to fill them. The oldest one (7) will be getting her first nice piece of jewellery and I will find a nice 'key' pressie for the younger kids. Outside of books, hats and scarves and craft materials does anyone have any ideas for other things I can include? These kids are 7, 5 and 4 (girls), and an almost 3 year old boy. I'm trying to go as eco-friendly as possible on this so I'll have a look for some nice traditional wooden toys and the likes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Books? Paperbacks would fit in really easily, could get picture books for the littler ones.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Some traditional sweete,like a packet of lovehearts,a mug with a Christmas theme. Hair go-go or hairband, nice note books,a height chart for each child to record as they grow,a small photo frame for the older lass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

In M and S I saw the cutest little games and would be perfect for a shoe box. They are the old traditional games, ludo, snakes and ladders, but in miniature, but not small enough to be annoying - about double the size of a pack of cards box. Would be perfect.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

little wooden toys.
    Play doh for the younger ones.
    Shaped cake cutters good for baking and play doh.
    Crayons,
    Coloured paper,
    Pipe cleaners and any other art materials.
    Cds of their favourite music.
    little toy animals,
    A subscription to national geographic kids or little kids

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Moonbeam wrote: »
    A subscription to national geographic kids or little kids

Oh, that's brilliant, I never even knew that existed, thanks millions for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Birdwatch Ireland also have a kids zone that they might be interested in, mag subscription and other things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I know this is odd but kids like them - flash lights- especially if you can find the battery- less kind that crank in colors, and you can involve yourself in their play by showing them how to make shadow puppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Marbles, dominos, draughts, beads (for the bigger girls). Would you think about a tapestry kit? They might still be too small tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

I saw a little book on making shadow puppets which could go nicely alongside the flashlight. Not sure where you're based but it was by the brand Tobar.

Maybe some one of those little fimo kits where you get everything to make a monster/butterfly/animal or whatever?

What about a Jacobs Ladder, I used love that as a kid!

Advertisement