Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability cuts in Budget.....what about

Options
  • 07-12-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

....Carer's and FIS?

Everyone please spread the word on this... something that seems to have gone under the radar is the Carer's Allowance now being taken as means for FIS. This affect many carers and their families, both of young special needs children and of elderly parents/sick family members. Also, it will now also be seen as an income for medical card applications. The medicines for many of those they care for are expensive and for long term use, as well as the costs of regular visits to doctors and the associated illnesses.

This looks like its being missed in the outcry of the DA that a lot of families on Carer's would have been eligible for FIS now will be no longer eligible. It is a fact that carers are restricted to 15 hrs work outside the home, if they have the energy to so, and are also full time carers. If they did not have to care full time for a loved one, they could take up a full time job or decent part-time job and not have to scrounge and worry about the daily trials and tribulations that go hand in hand with being a carer or having to apply for FIS. A knock on effect of personal circumstances now is to have Carer's assessed as an income, this is disgraceful. They have through no fault of their own severe financial restraints on thir potential to have sufficient incomes and higher outgoings due to the illnesses involved.

I am not affected by this but I know of friends and other families who will be and they are distraught to say the least, so any recommendations? Is there anyone who has highlighted this that they can join online or a campaign set up?... Safety in numbers etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Did you see Kenny on this evenings news, saying he wouldn't cut disability allowance. Sure they were election promises only.
    Who listens to election propaganda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

mushymoo wrote: »
    ....Carer's and FIS?

Everyone please spread the word on this... something that seems to have gone under the radar is the Carer's Allowance now being taken as means for FIS. This affect many carers and their families, both of young special needs children and of elderly parents/sick family members. Also, it will now also be seen as an income for medical card applications. The medicines for many of those they care for are expensive and for long term use, as well as the costs of regular visits to doctors and the associated illnesses.

This looks like its being missed in the outcry of the DA that a lot of families on Carer's would have been eligible for FIS now will be no longer eligible. It is a fact that carers are restricted to 15 hrs work outside the home, if they have the energy to so, and are also full time carers. If they did not have to care full time for a loved one, they could take up a full time job or decent part-time job and not have to scrounge and worry about the daily trials and tribulations that go hand in hand with being a carer or having to apply for FIS. A knock on effect of personal circumstances now is to have Carer's assessed as an income, this is disgraceful. They have through no fault of their own severe financial restraints on thir potential to have sufficient incomes and higher outgoings due to the illnesses involved.

I am not affected by this but I know of friends and other families who will be and they are distraught to say the least, so any recommendations? Is there anyone who has highlighted this that they can join online or a campaign set up?... Safety in numbers etc.

Will the person who needs looking after not have a medical card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

hondasam wrote: »
    It depends. When my parents were diagnosed with cancer, they were not entitled to a medical card as my father had earned too much that year (he was self-employed). Paying the prescription and doctor's costs was quite crippling when they had no money coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

having a special needs child doesn't entitle you to a medical card. my sister has an 11 year old autistic boy, and after applying for a medical card for years, she finally got one this year. but now she'll be losing it cause of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

having a special needs child doesn't entitle you to a medical card. my sister has an 11 year old autistic boy, and after applying for a medical card for years, she finally got one this year. but now she'll be losing it cause of this.

Does she have a medical card for the child? It's on TV3 now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Does she have a medical card for the child? It's on TV3 now.

She has now. but once it runs out she won't get another one I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I don't understand how governments can dare attack the disabled. You'd think it would be a big no no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

woodoo wrote: »
    I don't understand how governments can dare attack the disabled. You'd think it would be a big no no.

Interesting one is that there is a disability and invalidity payment (two separate ones). The invalidity one appears to be a gravy train, paid to many people who should not, under any circumstances, receive it. Men/women whose spouses are in highly paid jobs for example.

Many of these people appear to be Lourdes cases, making miraculous recoveries when the book is issued (and cannot then be taken from you).

On a Joe Duffy show last year, one lady rang in to say that her FOUR sisters-in-law had all been on this payment for years. All of them married to highly-paid men, they had gone on the payment after having their first child, all of whom were now adults.

And we wonder why there is a deficit?

Even more insane is that many of these are given bus passes for both their spouses and themselves, even if they have transport.

And we wonder why Bus Eireann/Dublin Bus is in trouble?:rolleyes:

Yet the people who actually need the disability payment are forced to jump through more hoops and then refused. This country is fcuking nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

further proof this evening that the present govt are carrying the FF baton... An Taoiseach Enda Kenny on the campaign trail, promising a disabled girl that they WILL NOT cut their money, they did so in the budget, and are now bowing to national outrage and saying it will be reviewed...

I forward a motion, that this present govt of Ireland be labelled the "no balls govt" for lying to the people of this country (in this example on 2 occasions), bowing to our european "partners", not recognising that the 2nd highest office in this land as being equal to that of other EU member states, and while many Irish people are struggling to keep their heads above financial waters, give 30k raises to "advisors" shortly before addressing the nation as to the "sharing of our national debt problem"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Cuts for everyone but themselves...

From Monday 5th:
    Seán Fleming (Laois-Offaly, Fianna Fail)
    When the Taoiseach’s script writers met with him last week they scripted a speech with the message that we are all in this together and that the Government was going to be fair. However, they had hardly left the room when the Taoiseach approved an 18% increase in travel and subsistence for senior officials of his Department. Staff in the Taoiseach’s Office have had their travel and subsistence allowance increased from €275,000 to €325,000. I know what happened when the script writers left the room. The Taoiseach took a clear view on this matter and decided to go for spin over substance.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/debate/?id=2011-12-05.111.0
    At a time when the Minister for Finance is asking everyone else to take a cut, he has increased salaries in his Department from €17.8 billion to €20.5 billion, an increase of 15%.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/debate/?id=2011-12-05.115.0
    Travel expenses for his staff are also to be increased by a whopping 34%. Tell that to people whose fuel allowance is being cut.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/debate/?id=2011-12-05.117.0
    The Minister, Deputy Howlin, is increasing consultancy charges in his Department by 43%.
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/debate/?id=2011-12-05.119.0
    He is also increasing his Department’s office expenses by 27% and there is an increase of 11% for retired civil servants. The Office of Public Works, which comes within the remit of the Minister, Deputy Howlin, is increasing its office expenditure by 8%. Yet, everyone else is to take a cut. How does the Government reconcile these increases with fairness for the public? The Minister for Justice and Equality has increased travel and subsistence expenses in his Department by 6%, yet everyone else is expected to take a cut.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/debate/?id=2011-12-05.121.0
    Seán Fleming (Laois-Offaly, Fianna Fail) Link to this
    The equality, integration and disability service at that Department has been also cut by 15%, from €19.7 million to €16.8 million. Will the Minister for Social Protection, Deputy Burton, who left the Chamber a few minutes ago, explain to those on whom she proposes to impose cuts the reason she has increased office expenditure in her Department by 23%, from €11.9 million to €14.7 million? Is that this Government’s idea of fairness? It is not mine. The disability allowance for young people between 16 and 18 years has been cut, a nasty thing to do.
    The Minister, Deputy Howlin, referred to equalisation of child benefit rates. What does the Minister for Finance, Deputy Noonan, have against third children? The Minister is proposing a cut in child benefit for third and subsequent children.
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/debate/?id=2011-12-05.123.0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Biggins wrote: »

FFS. This is getting BEYOND ridiculous. It goes to show that ALL politicians are corrupt, regardless of the "moral high ground". Where are the Labour Party in all of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Freddie59 wrote: »
    FFS. This is getting BEYOND ridiculous. It goes to show that ALL politicians are corrupt, regardless of the "moral high ground". Where are the Labour Party in all of this?

To busy filling their mates pockets, just like Enda:

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75893877#post75893877

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

There really is no pride or shame in people no more. Fùcking money to line their pockets and to make themselves seemingly more vital to the country than they actually are.

I know first-hand what carers and the Carers Association goes through and the past 12 months has just left me disgusted and ashamed to be in such a corrupted country thinly-veiled by endless red tape which kicks those who are already down.

Advertisement