Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance grant no more for 2012/13 Post Grad uni entrants

Options
  • 07-12-2011 3:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

surely this will have a massive impact on the amount of students going to uni next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

It's done with completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Any chance of an aul link there bud?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

If it is the case then I feel sorry for many who want to go to College.

I'm only able to survive because of the Maintenance Grant, except for the fact that my parents gave me e1,000 to start me off, but I'll be owing it back to them.

It is extremely difficult for many who can't get it. I know students can get a job but often a part time job is not enough and can affect exam results.

I know many have gotten by with so little but some can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭keithb93

From citizensinformation.ie:
    New postgraduate students whose means would formerly have qualified them for the special rate of student grant will now only get a fee grant. They will not get a maintenance grant. A €2,000 fee grant will be paid to a further 4,000 students. Existing grant-holders will not be affected.

Only seems to apply to Postgrads.

ASSUMING this is true they just completely bypassed the idea of means testing and went straight to no financial assistance for anyone?

Edit: all I could find was the stuff about postgrads which was announced weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i did a 5 year engineerign degree with approx 35 hours of college a week, i survived withotu a grant or any help from my parents.

students are adults who should be self sufficent.

Pubs and night clubs survive on students, i guess students should learn to priortise.

also every single car park in 3rd level colleges is full with studetns cars. these strudents shoudl take the cheaper option of waling/cycling/public transport etc adn tehy'll survive.

don't give me the ****e about them havign to get to college. it their rentigng, they should rent nearer the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Yeah, it's postgrad grants that are gone completely. Undergrad grants have been cut by a further 3%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

rabble rabble rabble fecking students rabble rabble spoilt brats rabble why should I pay for them rabble rabble spending all their money on drink rabble rabble when I was your age rabble

Yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

ted1 wrote: »

also every single car park in 3rd level colleges is full with studetns cars. these strudents shoudl take the cheaper option of waling/cycling/public transport etc adn tehy'll survive.

don't give me the ****e about them havign to get to college. it their rentigng, they should rent nearer the college.

I had the choice of 70e a week (or more) to live in with some bunch of wasters who were only there for the social life or 50 a week on petrol. If I took the 'cheaper' option of cycling I'd have to get up at 2am and the next day I'd get back at 1am. Waling isn't much of an option either, the bloody Japs killed all the whales

You might be moaning about having to pay for other people's education now but you'll be moaning louder when our uneducated underclass starts to spread out from current 'bad areas' to where you are living now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

i did a 5 year engineerign degree with approx 35 hours of college a week, i survived withotu a grant or any help from my parents.

Pubs and night clubs survive on students, i guess students should learn to priortise.

Spelling wasn't part of your curriculum then? :pac:

• Advertisement

Did you have a job during college, are you aware that they can be quite tricky to come by these days?

I'm sure you have evidence to show that the cars are owned by students in receipt of a maintenance grants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

mackg wrote: »
    Did you have a job during college, are you aware that they can be quite tricky to come by these days?

I'm sure you have evidence to show that the cars are owned by students in receipt of a maintenance grants?

There simply isn't the demand for labour particularly unqualified students right now to employ them. People don't have money to pay them with or any need to employ them.

*We have no manufacturing industry worth mentioning
    *There isn't a whole lot of places that will take students at a time that suits them
    *Farmers or other small business can't afford to take on new staff, and try to manage with what they have instead

How would a place like Cork even absorb 5000-10000 students that suddenly need jobs? Even if you had them cleaning the street and doing up the roads they'd be done in a few weeks. There is simply no businesses that will even have the spare cash to take on a load of students and thats before you get into Insurance, liability and all this other red tape that would prevent someone taking on these students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

so when did u do this course? and how did you survive if u didnt get help from ur parents or a grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Oh give over! You're acting like all students are in the same financial situation.
    The students who own cars and go out every night aren't the same students who are struggling to buy food, pay for rent, transport, and other necessities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

this guy obviously had no friends and no social life if he was able to do 35 hours a week and have a job on top of that
    and i would like to point out there are no jobs for students any more especially the students who do more intensive courses because we are not as flexible as other students (i did a 38 hour a week course)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

What they should do is cut the plc grant altogether and give it back to the Postgrads who are SERIOUS about their education. It doesn't seem fair that the PLC student gets the same amount of grant as the student going to Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

I couldnt agree with you more! I worked all the way through secondary, my undergrad and am half way through a masters. Dont see why those who work get no extra benefits than those who get a grant, drink it, and p*ss it up against a wall! The vast majority of the money people recive is wasted on crap that's no way college related. 6 people out of a class of 20 in my year booked a holiday to ibiza with they're grant checks! where the hell is the fairness in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

padraig91 wrote: »
    this guy obviously had no friends and no social life if he was able to do 35 hours a week and have a job on top of that
    and i would like to point out there are no jobs for students any more especially the students who do more intensive courses because we are not as flexible as other students (i did a 38 hour a week course)

bulls*it! there are plenty of jods around for those that actually want to work! But god forbid you might have to give up a couple of hours at the weekend! My course was 36 hours a week and I was well able to make time to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

achmairt wrote: »
    What they should do is cut the plc grant altogether and give it back to the Postgrads who are SERIOUS about their education. It doesn't seem fair that the PLC student gets the same amount of grant as the student going to Trinity.

Your kidding right? You'd take back grants from the thousands of kids who are the future of the country, and give it to people who missed their chance at education due to their own faults, and will have fewer years of employment?

Sure then just give all the money to the old folks homes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Lets just stop the misinformation here...
    This applies to post grads only. Would suspect EDU is the best place to discuss further.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement