Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Outsider" A perfect Circle Cover by Saturn's Virtue

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You might want to take this one to Band Promotion.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=591

Personally I don't think anyone can touch Maynard vocal-wise. Maybe Patton.......

Commenting on the cover. It's a carbon copy. Why not add something of your band to it? Why would I want to listen to this when I can listen to the superior original?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Y'all look and sound bored, like you're waiting to 'rock out' at the end but couldn't really be too bothered once it happens. Why bother putting up a cover? First time I've ever heard this band, all I've learned is you're not as good as A Perfect Circle, but you did your damndest to sound like them, just forgot any passion or flair. Two vocalists you don't want to be compared with - Keenan and Patton, you're never going to live up to it, and Josh Freese for a drummer? Chin's right - A Perfect Circle are far better at being A Perfect Circle.

Quick rant - I'm willing to bet most Irish bands don't have songs as good as the bands they want to emulate. Ya throw in the aul cover, the crowd is going to respond to it. To the casual listener, when asked what they thought about your band, guaranf*ckenteed everytime they'll remember you as the band that played that cover. Promote your band on the best you can do, rather than the best you can emulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Saturns Virtue

Jeez, cheers for the support!

I guess forums will always harbor the cynical keyboard mashers.

Thanks for your input though all the same! :)

Take the good from it - it isn't cynicism, you're selling yourselves short with a cover version. 'Rotted Core' isn't a bad tune, slightly dated maybe with obvious influences, but if ya have the ability, why not put the work in for your own songs rather than telling people to listen to a song they've already heard that has little chance of besting the original? It would be cynical to think you need cover versions to draw people's attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I gotta agree with the lads here. I was going to post something similar as I was listening to the video. Instrumentally you guys seem to have it pretty close, very good for a cover.

All I could think the whole way through though was the vocals weren't cutting it, although you did redeem yourself somewhat near the end. It's a great song but a tough one to emulate, you're never going to match Keenan's vocal prowess in this regard.

I don't want to sound harsh all the same, because I did enjoy the cover. Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Jeez, cheers for the support!

I guess forums will always harbor the cynical keyboard mashers.

Thanks for your input though all the same! :)

You asked for opinions, you're getting them.

Heed advice, don't argue it just because you have your mind already made up.

As it was said before there's nothing new in this cover than has already been done in the original. No other vocals will ever match up to Maynards regarding this tune. But it's a good cover. Take that as a compliment.

See? Poor vocalist is getting a kicking because of the comparison. Objectively speaking, the guy has a good voice. Objectively speaking the band is pretty solid. They just represented themselves here in the wrong light. Lucky you didn't opt for a Tool cover or y'all would have been lynched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Do a Tool cover.

Advertisement