Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unauthorised access to information on Book Depository

Options
  • 07-12-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

I got en email this morning from bookdepository saying there may have been unauthorised access to my account information (name, address, order information - but not payment information thankfully). Anyone else get this - for users of the site beware. I've sent back a question asking whether this was specific to me or a more general thing and I'll post when I know more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,989 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

walshki wrote: »
    I got en email this morning from bookdepository saying there may have been unauthorised access to my account information (name, address, order information - but not payment information thankfully). Anyone else get this - for users of the site beware. I've sent back a question asking whether this was specific to me or a more general thing and I'll post when I know more.

I didn't get one. Was it a genuine bookdepository email, or a phishing attempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Security

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

It appears genuine. However I went onto their website and sent a message via the website asking for confirmation and also asking if they might have gotten my password. At least I didn't have any credit card information stored on the website so that shouldn't be a big problem. Nonetheless not nice as I might have to change a few passwords for different sites which is a pain.

Hopefully they'll respond saying it wasn't us but it wasn't asking me to do anything or providing any links so seems unlikely to be phishing.

The email came from manager@bookdepository.co.uk and was

Dear Customer,

We are writing to let you know that there may have been unauthorised access to the following customer account information held by The Book Depository: your name, e-mail address, shipping addresses and order details.

Payment information was not affected.

The Book Depository will never ask you for personal or account information in an e-mail. Please exercise caution if you receive any emails that ask for personal information or direct you to a site where you are asked to provide personal information.

We apologise for the inconvenience. If you have an open order, this will be processed as normal.

Steve James,
    Head of Customer Services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gluesisters2

I also received this exact email from The Manager of Book depository yesterday.
    I am concerned as to how much information the 'hacker' has of our Accounts.

Advertisement