Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lexapro ..Stick or Switch ???

Options
  • 07-12-2011 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I have been on 10mg of Lexapro for GAD and Depression for 3 weeks now, the first week was grand then the second my legs damn near drove me insane with restless leg syndrome, but that seems to have eased off this week, my biggest problem in anorgasmia :(

It's like I'm dead down there. no amount of stimulation is having any effect.

I'm just wondering if I should stick it out for another month and maybe it will ease off, or should I just switch to a different SSRI

anyone else have experience of this ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Talk to whoever prescribed it for you - they may be able to offer an alternative. Don't stop ssri's without doctor supervision as you need to decrease them slowly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cunnningb

Thanks for your concern ;)

I have taken SSRI's many times and I would never just stop taking them.

This is my first time on Lexapro, and thou I fully intend to discuss it with my Dr I was hoping to get some insight from other people who may have experienced it, I dont want to just change after a month if there is a chance the side effect will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yeah there's no real way around the inorgasmia other then switching to another medication,or being on a really low dose.

I believe Wellbutrin is one of the few anti-depressants that doesn't have any adverse sexual side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Most anti depressants can take up to 6 - 8 weeks before they are in your system and working properly.

For most people the side-effects lessen or go completely after a few months.

But return to your doctor for a more experienced and medical professional advice.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IsaMtq

Was on Lexapro before and didn’t experience this – but I think this is one side effect from lots of AD’s. If it’s actually working for your condition then it might be as well to stay on it – I’ve heard of people who can take a break for a day or two now and again so that they can deal with this side effect. (Definitely depends on the med of course, and medical supervision)
    The best thing is to speak to your doc and see what alternatives there are. It might be worth trying another that will give the same results without the side effects. I was on a med called Valdoxan which has reduced levels of sexual side effects as well as discontinuation effects compared to some other antidepressants. So really there are lots of alternatives out there – so research a lot yourself and then go speak to your doc who can work with you to come up with a good solution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

Hi,
    I'm on Lexapro (15mg) and although I had the same side effects initially, things have returned to normal now, 5 months later. I agree with the above though; work with your doctor to find an alternative if you feel you need to switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 gh1979

cunnningb wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been on 10mg of Lexapro for GAD and Depression for 3 weeks now, the first week was grand then the second my legs damn near drove me insane with restless leg syndrome, but that seems to have eased off this week, my biggest problem in anorgasmia :(

It's like I'm dead down there. no amount of stimulation is having any effect.

I'm just wondering if I should stick it out for another month and maybe it will ease off, or should I just switch to a different SSRI

anyone else have experience of this ??

I have been on 10mg of Lexapro since November 2010 for anxiety. I experienced side effects of that antidepressant which is similar to yours, but they can pass away and so will be settled down. Fortunately, my anxiety is getting much better now. I would expect I will stop taking Lexapro in near future when my GP is confident enough to allow me to stop taking it. It is said that Lexapro works faster than any other SSRI medications. Antidepressants are well-known for many side effects, especially sexual energy, sleeplessness and weight gain. However, the most important thing is that antidepressant can give you some chance to protect and heal the health of brain that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Hi OP,
    Was on Lexapro for a short time about ten years ago, and had many of the experiences you describe. the worst side effect was restless legs, except it wasn't just my legs but every muscle in my body. Going to sleep at night was hell. took hours to settle myself, as i didn't use another medication to help me relax.
    After about a month of this, I went back to my doctor and asked to be changed.

I would say go back to your GP/consultant - there are so many options with SSRIs/SNRIs etc and not all affect people in the same way. Like the others said, don't just stop! if there's anything worse that SSRI side effects, it stopping thm suddenly.

Am on Cymbalta now and find it great - but took a while to find something that suited me.

Advertisement