Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The word 'aback' in Irish?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What is the word 'aback' in Irish?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Baineadh stad asam...I was taken aback.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

Baineadh stad asam...I was taken aback.

Thank you "The solar steam".

Is there not 1 word for "aback"?

I had a list of Irish words (I don't recall the source). For "aback" I had "Baineadh Siar As" -- according to http://translate.google.com/# that means either was withdrawn from/Out West was -- depending on case. :confused:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Baineadh siar as is perfect. Ignore Google tr. as it deals a lot in literal, very literal translations.
    I dont know of a singular word for aback.

Baineadh siar as is perfect. Ignore Google tr. as it deals a lot in literal, very literal translations.
    I dont know of a singular word for aback.

Cheers. Google translate works most of the time but yes it is not perfect.

Focal.ie is more reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JniC

Worztron wrote: »
    Cheers. Google translate works most of the time but yes it is not perfect.

Unfortunately, I have yet to see Google translate work. It is terrible. I think it's good for translating from a language you don't know so as you can get the rough gist of something. But to translate into a language you don't know makes it a horrible task for the reader. It doesn't distinguish verb from noun, adjective, etc.

Regarding translation, An Gal Gréine's translation is perfect. :)

JniC wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I have yet to see Google translate work. It is terrible. I think it's good for translating from a language you don't know so as you can get the rough gist of something. But to translate into a language you don't know makes it a horrible task for the reader. It doesn't distinguish verb from noun, adjective, etc.

Regarding translation, An Gal Gréine's translation is perfect. :)

Google translate is probably more suited to translating single words that phrases/sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It would be quite difficult to develop a translation program that could cope with the figurative use of language - which is how we generally use aback. See http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=aback. Do you really want a nautical expression?

It would be quite difficult to develop a translation program that could cope with the figurative use of language - which is how we generally use aback. See http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=aback. Do you really want a nautical expression?

Valid point! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

You could also say braic a fháil - to be taken aback (Foclóir Uí Dhónaill) as well as baineadh siar as, but no, there is no one exact word for 'aback' in Irish. Language often don't directly translate into each other word-for-word. I also agree that the quality of Google Translate is dire and should only be used for trying to get the jist of something you don't understand in another language.

• Advertisement
Advertisement