Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

standard sizes or codes for brake pads

Options
  • 07-12-2011 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭

are there standard sizes for brake pads for different makes/years of motorcycle.....like tyre sizes etc....does anyone use these when buying, where would you find a list of them by manufacturer?

to my shame (if its common knowledge - none at all if its not) I just tell the lad at the counter whatever the bike is and takes what I gets! .......well sizewise at any rate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

amacca wrote: »
    are there standard sizes for brake pads for different makes/years of motorcycle.....like tyre sizes etc....does anyone use these when buying, where would you find a list of them by manufacturer?

to my shame (if its common knowledge - none at all if its not) I just tell the lad at the counter whatever the bike is and takes what I gets! .......well sizewise at any rate

No, it varies by model, year, who assembled it (many japanese manufacturers have multiple assembly locations) and whether the bike was modified. It is best practice to bring the old pad with you when buying new pads, or alternatively copy the pad outline onto a sheet of paper and bring it with you.

I have a bike and over three years there were FOUR front caliper options as standard and no way of knowing which pad is fitted without taking out the old one.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭amacca

cheers cptr... dont feel as green now ...these "recessionary" times are causing me to do a lot more of my own work on the bike than I used to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

amacca wrote: »
    cheers cptr... dont feel as green now ...these "recessionary" times are causing me to do a lot more of my own work on the bike than I used to

Pads are handy to do. One of the few things I do myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭amacca

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Pads are handy to do. One of the few things I do myself.

I've gone a bit over the top post-apocalyptic... eg: we'll never be able to buy a new bike in Ireland again so I might as well figure out how to keep them running myself etc recently so thats only one of the things on the agenda (partially an excuse to work on it more than anything - strangely satisfying getting to know how the thing you are riding on actually works )

oil and oil filter to be changed...may take off oil cooler and drain it too so its a complete oil change

new chain to be fitted and tensioned as per workshop manual (with the lend of some tools I don't want to shell out for myself+ check bearings etc + a new front and rear sprocket (with maybe an extra tooth on the rear)

pipes already removed and I'm going to see how I get on polishing them myself with Autosol or peek or both

will bleed brakes check the lines and put in new brake fluid

pads

all fairings taken off and will be given a spring clean (might get some numberboards painted on or something)

tank off next and fuel pump to be checked + change air filter while I'm at it

will look at starter motor

mesh guard for the radiator + new coolant

new plate hangars and indicators...some nice levers if I can get them...a bit of carbon if possible (on the cheap hopefully)

maybe some decent footrests and a set of grips

+ a million other little bits and pieces

looking like a busy winter

Advertisement