Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Christy Moore Considered a Brilliant Songwriter?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 11:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

You are supposed to mention his name in hushed tones as this great bard of the people. Most of his hits are more or less on the same level as Benny Hill's songs.

Joxer Goes to Stuttgart = a five year old could write that.
    Don't Forget Your Shovel...WTF?
    The Knock Airport Song...
    The one about the bloke on the surfboard and loads others.

Cash-in gimmick tunes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Considering you can't correctly name even four of his songs maybe you should have more of a listen before passing judgement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

He's considered a brilliant folk performer moreso than a songwriter.

Missing You and Ride On are two great tracks he does, both written by Jimmy McCarthy - Christy actually does a lot of covers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

If you can do better, then do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

He's a big, sweaty, bag of shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You are supposed to mention his name in hushed tones as this great bard of the people.
    I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

You are supposed to mention his name in hushed tones as this great bard of the people. Most of his hits are more or less on the same level as Benny Hill's songs.

Cash-in gimmick tunes.

I reckon people like his stuff because he doesn't feel the need to wrap his meanings up in the obscure and abstract in an effort to appear intelligent.

He justs sings and auld tune...the vast majority of his acclaim is for his voice and the emotional content of his performances I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Yeah.........he'd never win X Factor would he? Thats cos he's a musician....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

...and he's not even sweaty anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

He also played a nice bodhran with Planxty, OP check out his stuff from the 1970s.

Hes more famous for covering others songs, it was in the early 80s he started penning some himself.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

You forgot wealthy !;) That's the thing about being sucessful you really can say fu.. the begrudgers !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

ordinary man

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I dont mind the guy at all. He does his stuff, he has his own style. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

bah, he's NO richie kavanagh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I'm not sure who considers him a "great" songwritter. I'm sure he wouldn't even consider himself a "great" songwriter.

A lot of people consider him one of the best performers of folk songs, however. He has the ability to steal the night with a quiet folk song that silences the room. At heart Christy is an entertainer, and few leave his gigs unhappy.

Here's one he did write though. These are pretty good lyrics I reckon.

As they sailed beneath the swastika to Spain...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I've seen him live twice now. Best performer I've ever seen. Puts everything into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Why is Christy Moore Considered a Brilliant Songwriter?

Well it's down to personal preference really, isn't it? Some consider Lady Gaga a brilliant songwriter. I personally wouldn't consider either brilliant, but that's my personal opinion. Did I mention personal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

He's so good, he can do it with his eyes closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Cash-in gimmick tunes.

I think Christy Hennessy wrote "Don't forget your shovel".....Christy recorded it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Who says he's a brilliant songwriter? As mentioned before, he didn't write most of his best songs - Ride On, Bright Blue Rose, the Contender, the Voyage (?), Ordinary Man, etc.

He's a terrific performer and singer, is what he is.

Jimmy McCarthy, on the other hand, is a terrific songwriter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Going back a bit but does anyone remember some comedian who used to do Christy Moore parodies on RTE? All I remember was he had a watertube up the back of his shirt that would shoot "sweat" all over the stage and singer as song played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Music Forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement