Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking is too bloody expensive in Ireland

Options
  • 06-12-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I always knew that smoking is expensive in Ireland, i just never realized on how much we are being ripped off. I'm in Russia at the moment and the average price for a pack of 20 is €1. Yes ONE euro. Ridiculous to think we're being charged 9 times more back home...

Comments

But we're nine times as sexy...

...oh. Wait.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

It'll be 9.15 come January. And then the cigarette companies will want some money, and probably stick another 10c on it. And Noonan was on the telly earlier saysing it wasn't a financial issue, gombeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm going to have to consider switching to Winfields (which I hate), either that are finally move to rollies.:(

Anyone recommend any of the cheaper brands of cigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Good luck finding Winfield. They changed name to the Pall Mall over a year ago.
    I find the Pall Mall 100s great value (compared to the others) at 7.35/7.60 and a nice smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The more the government raise taxes on smokes the more 'determined' smokers are gonna buy from 'alternative' sources

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Why smoke at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@Qualitymark (& others) - please read & understand the forum charter before you post in this thread again.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I'm gonna head east and get a few thousand the next time Ryanair have cheap seats going. Cigs are inelastic goods as the government are well aware which is why they can relentlessly hit the price but there is a tipping point where people will make an effort to stock up abroad or hit the black market and overall revenue will actually decrease.
    IMO, purely guessing, I'd say that was when they passed the €7.50 mark. A €9 pack at 20 a day is €63 a week or, to put it another way, a pre-income tax salary of €6500 is required just to maintain their officially sanctioned addiction. If I was on smack I'd get it for free.
    I really think groups like ASH need to stay out of budget submissions now as it's been demonstrated clearly that price increases don't have a huge impact on smoking rates. If anything, reducing someone's income by such a large amount is just going to negatively affect their health by making them eat less healthy foods, have fewer hobbies, have greater financial stress etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

latenia wrote: »
    I'm gonna head east and get a few thousand the next time Ryanair have cheap seats going. Cigs are inelastic goods as the government are well aware which is why they can relentlessly hit the price but there is a tipping point where people will make an effort to stock up abroad or hit the black market and overall revenue will actually decrease.
    IMO, purely guessing, I'd say that was when they passed the €7.50 mark. A €9 pack at 20 a day is €63 a week or, to put it another way, a pre-income tax salary of €6500 is required just to maintain their officially sanctioned addiction. If I was on smack I'd get it for free.
    I really think groups like ASH need to stay out of budget submissions now as it's been demonstrated clearly that price increases don't have a huge impact on smoking rates. If anything, reducing someone's income by such a large amount is just going to negatively affect their health by making them eat less healthy foods, have fewer hobbies, have greater financial stress etc.[/QUOTE]

Isn't part of the thinking behind it (the price being so high) that it will prevent (some) people from taking it up in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Yup there is going to be even more blackmarket cigs around, and customs can try and stop it as much as they like but it is far too lucrative for the smugglers to be put off. I for one love smoking, I know what the health risks are but they way I see it it is my body to do what I see fit with. Noonan can go on and on about about it wasn't financially motivated but cigs are the easiest things to tax, sure we shouldn't even be smoking them, so by raising the price he is doing us a favour and the anti smoking brigade will only be upset because they should have been taxed even more. To put it quiet simply they can all **** off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

latenia wrote: »
    I really think groups like ASH need to stay out of budget submissions now as it's been demonstrated clearly that price increases don't have a huge impact on smoking rates. If anything, reducing someone's income by such a large amount is just going to negatively affect their health by making them eat less healthy foods, have fewer hobbies, have greater financial stress etc.

Since when do people get free smack?

Advertisement