Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a budget PC for HD video and internet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

ricko187 wrote: »
    Going to build a computer a few months ago and something came up so going to attempt it now. The thread was : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74192959

Budget is about 400 at most.

Will be mostly used for watching HD video via a projector and general internet usage.

Was given parts but but don't think I will go for the SSD hard drive.
    Was thinking of upgrading to this motherboard: http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=47587&agid=1603&apop=3

Just unsure if it will all work.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Fill out this: ;)
    1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ricko187

Budget is 400 Euro

Computer will be used for HTPC and internet.

Don't need a copy of windows or a monitor

Will be connecting it to a 720p projector

Don't need a mouse or keyboard.

Would like about 8gb of ram and 2TB hard drive. A motherboard with hdmi output and spdif output to connect to surround sound

Don't really know anything about overclocking

Can pay by credit card or laser

Will purchase ASAP

May need help building it but have a couple of friends who could help me.

Thanks for all the help

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

This is actually a spec I have made up for a home server/HTPC I'm thinking of myself, plus a 2TB hard drive (really drags the price up, you'd be better off trying for this second-hand)

One of the most efficient, and quiet, PSUs I could find for the price.
    Very powerful (for the money) CPU, and gives you lots of upgrade options.
    Nice case.

The only thing that's a little weak is actually the hard drive. It's not designed as a boot drive, so while it'll be fine, it won't be madly quick when booting - though I doubt that matter too much for a HTPC.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €406.68 (inc delivery Free!)
    ASRock S1155 Intel H61M DDR3 mATX|€49.19
    Corsair 430 Watt CX430 V2 Builder Series 80 Plus Power Supply|€39.84
    XIGMATEK Asgard Chassis|€32.52
    Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) HyperX DDR3 1333MHz DIMM 240-pin CL9 Blu|€42.33
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 11 Low Profile CPU Cooler|€16.00
    Intel Pentium Dual Core G840 2.8GHz LGA1155 3MB|€74.41
    Samsung 2TB SpinPoint EcoGreen F4EG SATA3 32MB Hard Drive|€152.39

Thanks for the post Serephucus.

I was hoping to have an spdif output on the motherboard to connect to a 5.1 surround sound. Is there a motherboard with that output that would suit my build?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-p8h61-pro-rev-3-0-lga1155-intel-h61-ddr3-atx--b3-stepping--7GBQ.html?refs=469740000&src=3

That does, though it'll add more to the cost.

If you're spending extra though, I'd nearly get this:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-p8z68-v-lx-s1155-intel-z68-ddr3-atx-7PGM.html?refs=469740000&src=3

It's Z68 chipset, meaning it will support overclocking, so in the future, if you want to get an i5/i7 processor for more speed, and if you get comfortable with OC - in a year or three, say - it opens up huge possibilities for upgrades. You also get SRT for SSD caching.

• Advertisement

It sounds like it's worth the extra few quid. Thanks for all the help. Think I will go for it. Thanks again Serephucus!

I would like to get a second opinion though. Don't know a huge amount about buliding computers so would like to hear what others think.

Advertisement