Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling sky emigrating

Options
  • 06-12-2011 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

I rang sky today to give notice i am emigrating in jan. I started a 12 month contract in March. The wouldn't give any leeway at all. Any comments.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

ROS123 wrote: »
    I rang sky today to give notice i am emigrating in jan. I started a 12 month contract in March. The wouldn't give any leeway at all. Any comments.
    Yep, you should be glad you didn't sign up in June or later. You're leaving the company so don't expect any favours. What did you think they were going to say in fairness?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Personally I would not worry I would just go, what can they do if you are gone. I am sure when he signed up he did not know he was going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Probably completely wrong but with these 12 month contracts if you cancel the service do you still owe them the remaining payments, as in you can decide you don't want the telly anymore but you can't just decide you don't want to uphold a contract.

eeeh may be a way of getting out, sorry I'm not being helpful. Doesn't seem fair though, they get enough profit from the rest of us if someone loses a job or has to move you'd think they could cancel.

(actually really hoping I can cancel my upc bundle don't watch the tv much and can't afford it :()

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I am sure when he signed up he did not know he was going.
    That's not Sky's problem to be fair. Yeah he can do a bunk and they'll probably write off the debt but they won't cancel the subscription early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

There a rip off any way ads every 3 min and repeats why would any one pay for the crap

• Advertisement

patwicklow wrote: »
    There a rip off any way ads every 3 min and repeats why would any one pay for the crap
    Not very helpful to be honest. The OP is looking for advice on cancelling the order not whether they should have signed up in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

This guy doesn't have a choice, he offered to pay someway towards a cancellation fee, to be right about it. Can't afford to pay it all but it was black and white. He didn't know he would have to go when he signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just fyi, if the op ever tries to go back to Sky with the same phone number etc they won't let him join up again. Think of it as a credit rating. Same goes for if he wants to go to UPC in the future instead of Sky. They won't accept people with a bad rating.

I know this from working in the UPC end of things, we don't accept people with a bad sky rep.

My advise is just pay the bill for any awkwardness in the future. and, it is a contract to be fair. If someone employed you with a contract but had to leave you go, they would pay you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

They normally let you cut your channels down to the basic ones whether you're in contract or not. I think it's €25 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tayla wrote: »
    They normally let you cut your channels down to the basic ones whether you're in contract or not. I think it's €25 a month.

That's probably the best option,then when the contract expires cancel the account altogether.

Or,why not give the equipment to someone in the family who may not have Sky,at least they'll get the use of it for a couple of months.They might even take over the monthly payments-all you need do is switch bank details from your bank account to theirs.

If you do need to cancel,you can cancel via email seeing as the op will be out of the country by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Reducing to the basic package a very good idea, if it works. He is in a rented apart. He doesn't have a phone no. Don't know how they'd track him if he does back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

In relation to moving to the minimum package, would that change not cause the contract to start over again, like with a mobile if you changed tariff, meaning you'd have to pay the E25 over another 12 months?? It would be something i'd look into before i go ahead and change it.

In relation to moving to the minimum package, would that change not cause the contract to start over again, like with a mobile if you changed tariff, meaning you'd have to pay the E25 over another 12 months?? It would be something i'd look into before i go ahead and change it.

Reducing the package won't start a new contract,the only time you get tied into a new contract is if you add the HD pack or Multiroom.

ROS123 wrote: »
    Reducing to the basic package a very good idea, if it works. He is in a rented apart. He doesn't have a phone no. Don't know how they'd track him if he does back.

His bank account number becomes black listed with Sky and as was stated earlier UPC now check this also so it could come back to haunt him in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

zerks wrote: »
    That's probably the best option,then when the contract expires cancel the account altogether.

Or,why not give the equipment to someone in the family who may not have Sky,at least they'll get the use of it for a couple of months.They might even take over the monthly payments-all you need do is switch bank details from your bank account to theirs.

If you do need to cancel,you can cancel via email seeing as the op will be out of the country by then.

+1 best way out of it. (its only 3 months)

Advertisement