Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Evolution.

Options
  • 06-12-2011 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw this on imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1978940/). Just wondering has anyone watched it and what do they think?

I really enjoyed yer mans Metal documentaries (Headbangers Journey and World Metal...........although the latter seemed a little rushed but was enjoyable).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

"Metal Evolution" presents 11 episodes based on the ground-breaking "Heavy Metal Family Tree."

Anywhere to watch said episodes? I quite enjoyed A Headbanger's Journey even if he did just skip power metal altogether :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Anywhere to watch said episodes? I quite enjoyed A Headbanger's Journey even if he did just skip power metal altogether :P

To be honest, I'm really glad he did. :pac:

It's on vhi classic (that's all I know). Just stumbled across it really. Was wondering is it just a drawn out version of his documentaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jacksie77

I've watched the first 2 episodes.
    To be honest I find the guy a bit of an idiot, I've watched some of his other documentaries, didn't find them too good at all.
    In the first episode he trys to get to the bottom of why people listen to metal. He goes on about how it makes you feel aggressive and how it makes you feel part of a community (seems moreso than other music!)
    If metal made me feel aggressive I wouldn't listen to it (and i listen to the more "aggressive" types; black, death, grind etc.) Your a pretty sad individual in my opinion if you need to listen to a particular type of music to feel part of a community.

In the second episode the guy from Steppenwolf claims he invented metal!
    He must have never heard of Black Sabbath:D

Oh, dunno where you can stream it but think its available on sites like isohunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yeah watched the first four episodes and it's going in circles. It's not really saying anything different than his documentary. I'll stick it out to see if he delves deeper in to some sub-genres but this "where did metal come from and it's roots" is taking waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to flesh out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

jacksie77 wrote: »

Born to be wild contains the words "heavy metal thunder" and it has been argued that this is where the term came from. BTBW was released in '67, 2 years before Black sabbath were formed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jacksie77

Born to be wild contains the words "heavy metal thunder" and it has been argued that this is where the term came from. BTBW was released in '67, 2 years before Black sabbath were formed.

There's many different arguments to say where the term came from, even a reference to one of William Burroughs books.
    But I think its safe to say that Steppenwolf were not a metal band:)
    I see where your coming from though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

jacksie77 wrote: »
    I've watched the first 2 episodes.
    To be honest I find the guy a bit of an idiot, I've watched some of his other documentaries, didn't find them too good at all.
    In the first episode he trys to get to the bottom of why people listen to metal. He goes on about how it makes you feel aggressive and how it makes you feel part of a community (seems moreso than other music!)
    If metal made me feel aggressive I wouldn't listen to it (and i listen to the more "aggressive" types; black, death, grind etc.)
    Your a pretty sad individual in my opinion if you need to listen to a particular type of music to feel part of a community.

Oh, dunno where you can stream it but think its available on sites like isohunt

That's not quite what i saw, I thought they concluded that metal can stimulate the aggressive part of the brain in a non aggressive situation, Which actually makes you a calm person!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

That's not quite what i saw, I thought they concluded that metal can stimulate the aggressive part of the brain in a non aggressive situation, Which actually makes you a calm person!

Thats the way I heard it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Was watching this last night. I was surprised that the Poison dudes, in addition to many other glam metallers, held down 9-5 jobs. I thought they'd be doing more than 50 gigs a year, I wonder how much they'd get for those gigs, they seemed fairly big, wouldn't they be able to rake in a comfortable amount of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 72,289 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

It was informative in places, the only problem I saw with the series was the glaring omissions depending on who he managed to interview.

For example-a whole episode on glam-metal, a whole episode on shock rock...yet absolutely NO mention of W.A.S.P.?!?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement