Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Crafts Ideas for Babies/Toddlers

Options
  • 06-12-2011 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi all,

Just looking for some christmas arts and crafts ideas for a 16 month old. I want to do something that she will be able to do by herself to a reasonable extent, with little interference on my behalf.
    I'd love to do something with her hand or foot prints, I was thinking of making christmas tree decorations out of them with a short message or poem on it, but looking for some other ideas too as I would love to do something really nice with her.
    Would appreciate any ideas, ASAP as I'm minding her tomorrow and want to have something prepared then! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Paint and pine cones, paint and glitter pine cones. Also make cards sure at 16 months kids can splodge pain on plain cards, Christmas colours, green, red, gold, white. Sprinkle with glitter, you will need to keep an eye on her so she doesn't eat anything she shouldnt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

paper plates and cotton wool can make snow men,santa beard,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MelanieB

Cut white doilies into snow flakes and either paint those, add glitter or use it as a stencil on black card or do all three!

Don't forget to make paper chains! Simple to make and if they run out of patience you can just stop and carry on another day. You can buy a pack in a craft shop

Cut out paper men/women/snow men/etc and get your children to colour them in. The bigger the better and the stronger the card/paper the better!

cut a couple of magazines/brochures/leaflets up that has seasonal pictures and get a slarge colourful card and get your child to glue where they want the pictures you cut out. You could shape the paper into a wreath or a christmas tree if you want to be a little adventurous. The trick is to leave them to put the piccies where THEY want and then make sure you put their age and date made on the back and bring it out every year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

we used to make christmas cracker decorations using the cardboard left from toilet rolls with wrapping paper or crepe paper and tie the ends with ribbon. Think we used to put sweets in them sometimes too!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I know its probably too late for you now, but there are some fun handprint and footprint crafts you could do.
    Christmas tree - with handprints, start at top with one green handprint then work down the 'tree' with 2-4 handprints on each row. brown paint for tree trunk and lots of sprinkled glitter makes a fab xmas tree.
    Also rudolph face out of childs footprint, paint foot brown and press on paper, then stick on red pom pom for nose and either paint in eyes or stick them on and you can cut out antlers.
    My son did these when he was around 2/3 and I still have them up (he's 6now!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

pah! Good luck...I've a two year old and I tried to make christmas decorations with him....it ended up with more glitter on us than on the paper..even his 6 week old brother was blinged up with glitter :D

I cut out christmas shapes like socks and trees and stuff, he coloured them in...I put some glue on the paper and asked him to sprinkle some glitter on it...he put the glitter in the palm of his hand and pressed it onto the glue covered paper :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

cut out star shapes from beeswax sheets and stick them on the windows

beeswax candle rolling is pretty easy too with a bit of help

decorating gingerbread men with sweets?

Advertisement