Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removable Brace Broken (pics) - where to get it fixed?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, just broken this removable brace recently and want to get it fixed ASAP.

Should I bring it back to my dentist or is there a repair shop somewhere? Is it going to cost much? I reckon it's just a welding job. Opinions welcome!

2192f.jpg

35hn29v.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭paulcummins

sorry about the size of the pics - i dont know how to resize them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Back to where you got it, it need to be both repaired and then readjusted.

i got it in england

would rather not fly back over just to get it done

would a place over in dublin do it?

You can go to an orthodontist and see will they do it, its most important that it is adjusted properly, may be worth travelling back to where it was done was they are unlikely to charge you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 loose chippings

You should look in the Golden Pages under dental repairs - phone around and ask them if they have an orthodontic technician on the staff - would be much cheaper than going to an orthodontist as the orthodontist would need to send it to them anyway. There is one in Kimmage that i know of - no names - they would definitely sort you out

• Advertisement

You should look in the Golden Pages under dental repairs - phone around and ask them if they have an orthodontic technician on the staff - would be much cheaper than going to an orthodontist as the orthodontist would need to send it to them anyway. There is one in Kimmage that i know of - they would definitely sort you out

Unfortunately the orthodontic technician would not have the foggiest idea how to adjust it so its not moving your teeth the wrong direction, too fast etc....., this is not a retainer.

couldnt get an orthodontist to fix it. went to one and he said it would be pointless to get it fixed and that i should go for a full treatment. im not sure whether i believed him, i think he wanted the few grand from the treatment. when i specifically told him i just wanted it welded back together as it was, he refused. i probably should get treatment but i have not got the money, being an unemployed recent science graduate, and my teeth are very very frustratingly moving (the sensation is annoying as f*ck!) so I am bringing it to a blacksmith tomorrow. he said he will do what he can, im not expecting miracles but its my only hope. to me its a simple welding job. once its welded i will carefully adjust it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

couldnt get an orthodontist to fix it. went to one and he said it would be pointless to get it fixed and that i should go for a full treatment. im not sure whether i believed him, i think he wanted the few grand from the treatment. when i specifically told him i just wanted it welded back together as it was, he refused. i probably should get treatment but i have not got the money, being an unemployed recent science graduate, and my teeth are very very frustratingly moving (the sensation is annoying as f*ck!) so I am bringing it to a blacksmith tomorrow. he said he will do what he can, im not expecting miracles but its my only hope. to me its a simple welding job. once its welded i will carefully adjust it.

Are you in active ortho treatment in England at present?? If so and you will be heading back for treatment- just wait and get it remade there...
    In the meantime, ask a dentist/ orthodontist/ technician to make you an essix retainer (like a gum shield) to hold the teeth in their present position so you don't relapse from where you are...

If some random guy welds it together then you risk sending the teeth in all directions...

Seriously OP what is this device for, either it was made to move your teeth, if so you paid for it and you should have it properly repaired and adjusted buy the person you already paid to do it.

DO NOT PLACE AN UNADJUSTED APPLIANCE IN YOUR MOUTH. You could seriously an irreversibly damage your teeth. As for a blacksmith are you joking with us? Why not try a plumber, or a paperclip manufacturing factory...........

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

A blacksmith, as in the guy who makes farm railings/gates/light fixtures?
    Then you're going to adjust it yourself? With what, a garage pliers, a hair tweezers?
    Risks: cross infection, root resorption, pulp(nerve) damage/death, damage to enamel or gums.....
    Even general dentists refer to orthodontists for braces, being a science graduate won't be of any advantage.
    Would you consider an orthodontic retainer (eg:Essix retainer) so that at least you're stabilising the situation until you can afford a trained professional? Better to do nothing than to inflict harm on your teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

Bringing it to a blacksmith omg i have not laughed so hard for a long time.. i hope the OP is trolling us,sure sounds like he is..

this is an epic thread,it deserves a sticky

Well I found a place that will repair the retainer and yes I will be adjusting it myself. I understand the risks but I simply don't have the money to get a complete treatment. I had braces before but the retainer broke years ago and my teeth have suddenly started moving eratically over the last few weeks to the point where I feel conscious of them when talking to people etc. What can I do? No point getting a retainer to stabilise then in this position bc I hate them in this position and won't have a spare 3k+ for a long time.

So what choice do I have!? I even think I've lost possible jobs over my teeth as they make a bad impression on the interviewer. Plus I have the most important interview of my life in january so I need them as straight as I can get them for that.

I feel a bit stupid for letting it get this bad but at this point I feel like i have no choice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Well I found a place that will repair the retainer and yes I will be adjusting it myself. I understand the risks but I simply don't have the money to get a complete treatment. I had braces before but the retainer broke years ago and my teeth have suddenly started moving eratically over the last few weeks to the point where I feel conscious of them when talking to people etc. What can I do? No point getting a retainer to stabilise then in this position bc I hate them in this position and won't have a spare 3k+ for a long time.

So what choice do I have!? I even think I've lost possible jobs over my teeth as they make a bad impression on the interviewer. Plus I have the most important interview of my life in january so I need them as straight as I can get them for that.

I feel a bit stupid for letting it get this bad but at this point I feel like i have no choice.

OP ot'll probably cost a lot more than 3K to put right the damage you do.

Thats not a retainer there are two springs on it.....seriously don't be an an idiot, leave it out, it will be easier to fix the movement than the damage you will do.

I appreciate everyones advice. It has definitely made me think. As soon as I get the money up i will go for proper treatment. For now my decision is
    made. I may live to regret it but I'm sure others in my position would do the same. No point in keeping the thread open at this point so I would appreciate it if the mods closed it.

Im sure I will be back making another post on the subject at some point. At that stage I will accept the "I told you not to be an idiot" type posts if that is what happens.

Wish me luck...

Facepalm-jesus-facepalm-facepalm1-550x586.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement