Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New motor tax rate on bikes, anyone know yet?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

My tax screeds are up this month on the Bros and just wondering what the new rate will be, it won't be long before this will hit the ton mark. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Meh not bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

23% Vat on protective equipment. That is an absolute load of bollocks.

MAG seem to spend alot of time pimping themselves to the biking community. What are they doing about this?

Sending off a few disgruntled emails now. I'm sure I'll be fobbed off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Sick of crazy VAT Rates? Buy up North or online! I stopped spending money in Ireland a loooong time ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

AgileMyth wrote: »
    One reason why I get all my bike PPE across the border, I saved a ton on my Arai alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Red Neck Hughie

Excellent, that's another few bob I'll save by not taxing it. Win win.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Having to currently shell out like €370 for 6 months tax in the car, a few quid on the bike isn't worrying me too much. Increased VAT on PPE seems quite counter-productive though. All it'll do is force more people to shop either across the boarder or online.

Not me though. I like to try things on to make sure that they fit properly. Can't do that online. So i have to go to the shop, where gear is more expensive. And i could save by driving up north (from my native Clare), if petrol wasn't going up by 3 or 4c a litre. I'd take the car on a journey like that, and the car already costs me €80 to fill.

Tax doesn't bother me. Increased VAT on PPE does though. Absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Kev, I was involved in the thankless work lobbying with MAG for years, been there done that regarding the VAT issue on gear and helmets :( the authorities just don't care, bikers are less than dirt in their eyes.

Go up to Hein Gericke in Newry, or Module Road & Race, and write to your TD and tell them how many hundred euro you've spent up north due to their idiotic policies.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Sick of crazy VAT Rates? Buy up North or online! I stopped spending money in Ireland a loooong time ago!

That's cos your tight haha

Seriously though don't mind the road tax but VAT on PPE is a no no in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Was talking to a guy who owns a bike shop up north and he said about 90% of his business is from people down here!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Please do price local too though. Let them even attempt to price match. (for instance schuberth are very competitive here) Cos if you keep going up north, the time will come when you have to go up north for a litre of oil, because there wont be any bike shops left down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Did anyone here bitching about the price of PPE here make a submission to the Minister for Finance about the VAT rate for PPE prior to the Budget?
    Galwaytt asked people to email the minister in his thread...
    If you didn't at least write and ask for it to be brought into line with the rest of mandatory PPE then just shut up.
    *Someone should do something about that!*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

That's cos your tight haha
    Well... yes, I am! lol

But the reason why I didn't buy stuff in Ireland is because I hate being a$$ raped! If it's only a couple of quid, fine, I'll support the local business but otherwise, my money leaves the country and I don't feel bad one bit!

Anyway, all this is behind me now... Switzerand has a 8% VAT Rate (which is mighty low compared to the Irish 23%) but stuff is still very expensive here compared to Ireland! But then, the salaries are much higher too...

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

AgileMyth wrote: »

MAG seem to spend alot of time pimping themselves to the biking community. What are they doing about this?

A delegation from the MAG national executive met Noel Brett of the RSA and following discussions he made a submission to the Dept. of Finance on the issue. There's a post on the MAG site about it.

Separately, a MAG Ireland delegation met with the minister for transport in Government buildings yesterday and the VAT issue was discussed again but I can't say any more at this point except that the issue is on the table at the highest possible levels.

MAG is chipping away at this one all the time. Keep an eye on the MAG site. If we have good news to announce, it'll appear there first. If not, we'll be telling you who to write to for maximum effect.

Or you could just come on here asking what MAG is doing ;)

While I think of it. MAG put out a press release on the VAT thing after the hike;
    http://www.magireland.org/forms/MAG_Ireland_PR_VAT2011_Web.pdf

You can write to your TD and ask them to move motorcycle PPE into the lower VAT bracket.
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/members-hist/default.asp?housetype=0&HouseNum=31&disp=const

They can't zero rate it - that's an EU decision - but they can lower the rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

carsQhere wrote: »

They can't zero rate it - that's an EU decision - but they can lower the rate.

How do the UK operate their VAT rate on motorcycle PPE then?
    Edit: found this on the UK HMRC site.

3.Motorcycle helmets

3.1 How do motorcycle helmets qualify for zero-rating?

They are zero-rated when they comply with one of the following standards:

British Standard (BS) 6658:1985 (it will be marked with a British Standard 'kitemark'); or
    UNECE Regulation 22.05 (it will be marked with a UN 'E' mark - the first two digits of the approval number will be '05').

However, BS 6658:1985 covers protective helmets for all vehicles. Helmets that comply with that standard which are not motorcycle helmets are standard-rated.
    top ^
    3.2 Are there any alternative standards?

Helmets may also be zero-rated if they comply with a European Standard which offers a level of protection which is equivalent to (that is the same as, or better than) BS 6658:1985 and are marked with a certification mark which is equivalent to the British Standard 'kitemark'. However, at the time of writing, we are not aware of any such standard or certification mark.

For the avoidance of doubt, UNECE Regulation 22.04 is not equivalent to the British Standard.
    top ^
    3.3 Are accessories zero-rated?

If you fit accessories such as visors, ear protectors or communication systems as an integral part of a qualifying helmet, you can zero-rate the supply of the complete helmet. But accessories supplied on their own are standard-rated.

The UK had a derrogation of some sort which allowed them to retain the zero rating on helmets, I'd need to check the specifics.

It's only helmets that are exempted in the UK, other PPE incl. boots & gloves are not.

The best the current FG/Labour coalition can do for us here is to drop motorcycle PPE into the lower rates. No point having a low rate on helmets and the full fat 23% on everything else.

Incidentally, a builders hard hat is VAT exempt.

Advertisement