Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweets, sweets FLIPPIN SWEETS!!!

Options
  • 06-12-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭

I went off the grog a couple of weeks back, yay!!! Now the funny thing is I took to sobriety like throwing a duck into a pond. Yeah I miss it at times especially when I go down to Thomond Park or whatever but I didn't actually struggle getting off it.

The thing is I was never into sweets. Literally never! Even when a box of roses is open on the table at Christmas or whatever I would have one or two and that's it. Sweets just never did it for me.

Since I got off the sauce I can't stop eating them and it's really bizarre. It's not like I've developed a taste for them more that the thought of eating them is much more appealing. A friend mentioned that my heavy drinking might have sent my blood sugar levels out of whack and my body is craving sweets to balance out. Does the theory hold water? Has anyone had any similar experience and how did you sort it? It's a shame because I've lost loads of weight since I quit and I don't want my new found sweet addiction to throw a spanner in the works.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Hi Mrkeyg Your body is crying out for sweets cause it was accustomed to that big dose of sugar you once mainlined into your system. Cravings can be dealt with.There are posts already here that deal with them,check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Interesting reading here: http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/genetics/a/blacer031114.htm

I have awful problems controlling my snacking. Yesterday I bought a pack of biscuits and ate them all. If I open a tin of roses I'd eat them all in one go. The solution for me is to not have any sweets at home.. if friends are visiting I nip to the shop before they arrive.

IMO there isn't a huge difference between addiction to alcohol and addiction to eating.

Funny enough when my granddad (tried) to quit drink once he kept craving cold coffee. He'd make coffee and leave it in the fridge for a few hours. We had a great laugh.. til I saw starbucks charge €3 for an "Iced coffee"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

The problem is I live at home with a sister that could eat the Wonka factory and not put on a pound. She tries to hide them for my sake to be fair but I know they're there and usually find them.

Will just have to work on my self discipline I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The craving comes about because your body associates drinking alcohol with lots of quickly available carbohydrates, and that’s what it asks you for. So the one thing you need to do when you’re cutting down your alcohol intake, is keep your blood sugar levels fairly balanced.

You can prevent the low blood sugar, and hence the craving, by not eating so much sweet or processed food. Eat more fibre-rich whole foods, like wholemeal or granary bread, muesli or granola, fruit instead of chocolate (sorry!). And don’t forget those sugar-packed fizzy drinks, they’ve got to go too.

So next time you get a craving for sweets, eat something healthy instead – you’ll be amazed at how quickly that craving disappears.;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Ah, Mars Bar multi-pacs and Coca-Cola

Nyom nyom nyom ....slurp :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've a sweet tooth, though I don't drink much and haven't ever gone through a time of giving it up.

See if fruit helps as an alternative to sweets. I go through 3-5 pieces of fruit most days.

I am eating loads of fruit. I gave into the craving for about a week and a half but thankfully I didn't put on too much weight. Back into my gym routine now. My Mam bought me a selection box today (I'm 30 like) but passed it on to my sister (even though my Mam bought her one too so I feel a bit bad) so seems to be coming under control.

Well 5 a day will keep you regular but you wouldn't want to go on any long bus journeys straight away if you are not used to fruit.

Now I dived in to a tin of Roses tonight and the feckers have changed the wrappers so you do not know who is who any more.

I imagine you are just replacing one source of sugar so how long can that last and anyway why torture yourself with a diet over Xmas. Health kicks are a New Year thing.

CDfm wrote: »
    Well 5 a day will keep you regular but you wouldn't want to go on any long bus journeys straight away if you are not used to fruit.

Now I dived in to a tin of Roses tonight and the feckers have changed the wrappers so you do not know who is who any more.

I imagine you are just replacing one source of sugar so how long can that last and anyway why torture yourself with a diet over Xmas. Health kicks are a New Year thing.
    Yeah but I've worked too hard the last few months to make a balls of it. I will enjoy myself over the christmas but a large bag of peanut M&M's every day is overdoing a bit.:)

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Yeah but I've worked too hard the last few months to make a balls of it. I will enjoy myself over the christmas but a large bag of peanut M&M's every day is overdoing a bit.:)

They are just not chocolate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement