Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ignition barrel is sticking

Options
  • 06-12-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I have my CBF 500 a few months now and have recently been having a few issues with the ignition barrel. It is especially problematic when I put the steering lock on; it takes multiple attempts and much fist shaking to disengage. It's also very 'sticky' and have difficulty inserting and removing the key on occasion; more and more recently. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You tried oiling it? Its possible that its a worn barrel or the key might be slightly bent. I know mine is.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

had a similar problem, bit of wd40 into the barrel sorted it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I just stuck a lick of oil on it now, it still seems to be very resistant when removing the key. The two keys I have for it both have the same problems. Plus, there is only 11k on the clock, that's in kilometers, so the barrel really shouldn't be excessively worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Do you have a can of compressed air you could try, maybe some dirt in it stopping the keys from sitting in properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Use a graphite based oil / grease. Ordinary oil will only attract dust and dirt and only make the problem worse. I had a similar problem on a Bross and ended up changing the barrel. The key could also be worn or a bit broken off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement