Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Image and what you look like on stage...

Options
  • 06-12-2011 4:36pm

Following on from another posters thread, how important is image to you in regards to your band? Are you all clones of each other in The Ramones/ The Hives sense of the word? Do you dress to fit your music? Do you have stage clothes or just play in whatever because it's all about the music and how comfortable you are on stage?

How important is what you look like on stage to you?
    Do you do the Oasis, meandering, "couldn't give a fiddlers" type of stage routine? Do you turn into Status Quo with swinging guitars? Or do you dance like an eejit with the stage being the place you can be yourself?

In my previous outfits (see what I did there? ;)) I would have clothes especially for gigs, and only for performing in. I remember an interview with an old folkie called Jackson C. Frank who always wore a suit when performing (very against the trend in the hippie 60's) but he said that, "Other people dress to go to work, why should I be any different? This is my work, my job my life" I took that advice when I heard it and it made all the gigs I played that little bit sweeter.It meant that every shitty gig I played more worthwhile to me.
    I do like to dance a little on stage, but it's never choreographed. I once tried out for a band where they were jamming in the factory which had mirrors on one side (I think it was one side) so you could see what you looked like when you're performing. Personally, I found it very off putting, but I could see the value in it.
    "It's all about the music" is a very noble statement, but if you want to be a pro, I think that you have to look after all these details. You are, after all, putting on a show. One of the best examples of this is The Amazing Few. Whatever you think about their music, you can't argue that they put on a hell of a show! They often do their 3D shows, bring out women dressed as brownies handing out cookies, or dressed as Russian soldiers and balloons are never far away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

In my mind its quite simple - its a toss up between wishing to make a financial career out of it, or the desire to write music regardless. If you want to seriously make money, get signed to a major label, chart massively and be on telly - then image is everything. If thats what you want, you can forget about being original and doing what you wish, since you will be controlled by numberous others. plus by the time you're forty, you'll probably be broke and working in a chipper.

Theres plenty of musicians who played and wrote music for the sake of doing so - and kept themselves gainfully employed. They, though, are the kind who actually were brilliant at writing music .. which lets be honest, the majority of us arent.

So to conclude - if you want to make money, then image is everything - unless you just happen to be a genius songwriter who doesnt mind working yer arse off. If though, you like writing and playing music, image doesnt matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭Deco1983

maccored wrote: »
    In my mind its quite simple - its a toss up between wishing to make a financial career out of it, or the desire to write music regardless. If you want to seriously make money, get signed to a major label, chart massively and be on telly - then image is everything. If thats what you want, you can forget about being original and doing what you wish, since you will be controlled by numberous others. plus by the time you're forty, you'll probably be broke and working in a chipper.

Theres plenty of musicians who played and wrote music for the sake of doing so - and kept themselves gainfully employed. They, though, are the kind who actually were brilliant at writing music .. which lets be honest, the majority of us arent.

So to conclude - if you want to make money, then image is everything - unless you just happen to be a genius songwriter who doesnt mind working yer arse off. If though, you like writing and playing music, image doesnt matter.

Jesus Wept - work out the point you're trying to make and come back to us will you.

Deco1983 wrote: »
    Jesus Wept - work out the point you're trying to make and come back to us will you.

And what's your input into the thread Deco? Or are you here just to snipe?

The be a successful music artist/performer and to make money for all the various interest that go along with that then image massively important, more so than the music a lot of the time.

If you do not buy into this then you are slashing your chances of success. As rare as old style 'advance' record deals are these days I would guess that 100% of the artists that have signed them in the last 2-3 years already had the image box ticked. Jesus even basic pub cover bands are now having to worry about image to some degree

If writing and creating music is your thing only then maybe it might be worth looking at the publishing and snyc side of the industry. Still plenty of money to be made on that side of the house and as cool as some bands may look on stage they're making close to nothing/losing money on each gig.

Spend a little time getting to know the music industry and see if you can find the right fit for you as a person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

From a cover band point of view, you are being hired to entertain. Generally we dress up to the same extent to the people we play to; if its a pub gig, wear clothes you would year if you were going out at the weekend, if its a corprate event/wedding, then shirt and tie.

• Advertisement

Right after you learn to read and can successfully work out what text means.

The be a successful music artist/performer and to make money for all the various interest that go along with that then image massively important, more so than the music a lot of the time.

If you do not buy into this then you are slashing your chances of success. As rare as old style 'advance' record deals are these days I would guess that 100% of the artists that have signed them in the last 2-3 years already had the image box ticked. Jesus even basic pub cover bands are now having to worry about image to some degree

If writing and creating music is your thing only then maybe it might be worth looking at the publishing and snyc side of the industry. Still plenty of money to be made on that side of the house and as cool as some bands may look on stage they're making close to nothing/losing money on each gig.

Spend a little time getting to know the music industry and see if you can find the right fit for you as a person

I really cant see much difference between this and the post you where whinging about to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I agree with Frank Carty above.

I'd take it a step further - it's not just cover bands who dress to impress. Many of those performing original material have an image to maintain as well and they seem to dress accordingly, if it is the Oasis "couldn't give a fiddlers" image.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

I dress no differently then I normally would.

I always thought Oasis were fairly sharp dressers, btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

We do dress a little more extreme than we normally would. I'd normally wear converse, wristbands and chains and a pair of combats/jeans during the week when I'm not working, but on stage I have additional crap that I wear.

There's nothing worse than watching a band who all do nothing, or worse still, all do the same action. There was a band in Cork nicknamed the bouncing band because they all just stood on the spot and bopped up and down in every single song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Rancidmaniac13

I think it's pretty hard to remove the image from the music. And it's definitely too simple to reduce it to pro verses 'for-the-music'.

Even if the music is the main focus the image is always gonna affect how it's received. If you want to communicate the music effectively you have to take into account how the image contributes to it. A live performance is always gonna be more than just the music. Musicians generally realise this and thats why they either dress up or dress down.

Even not caring about image is making a pretty strong statement (look at indie in the 80's). It's better to be aware of the power of image than to disregard it in ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Interesting that Oasis have been mentioned, they were one of the most styled bands of the 90's. The "just got out of bed and couldn't give a rats" image was part of a very powerful PR machine.

maccored wrote: »
    I really cant see much difference between this and the post you where whinging about to be honest.

I wouldn't expect you to

Savman wrote: »
    Interesting that Oasis have been mentioned, they were one of the most styled bands of the 90's. The "just got out of bed and couldn't give a rats" image was part of a very powerful PR machine.

wi-liam-gallagher.jpg

Liam, circa 1995, rocking the 'out of bed' look.

I really don't get what people are saying. I always thought they dressed pretty good. I remember an interview where someone asked Liam about his style, and he said something like 'there is no point getting on stage in front of 50,000 people if you don't have a decent haircut and a nice pair of shoes...'

DECO AND MACCORED, CUT IT OUT OR TAKE A BREAK FROM THE FORUM FOR A FEW DAYS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Image is very important imho, even if that image is one of "I couldn't give a sh1te about my image".
    If you're going to perform in front of people, your image should match your music or you'll put the audience off (unless the juxtaposition is deliberate, e.g. Nigel Kennedy).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

One of the bands I was playing in doing weddings/parties and regular pub gigs the dress code was black shirt,tie and slacks for weddings/parties and blue jeans and black shirt for pub gigs.
    Very bland but really set the tone at all of the gigs.

The all black dress look at weddings kept us looking neat and well presented just as the bridal party would like and the jeans and black shirt look at pubs was still a smart/casual kind of look that was just the right step above looking like a regular punter in the pub without looking too dressed up for the occasion.

When playing in my own bands doing our own material I always said to the lads to dress like you would if you were trying to look your best on a night out.
    A random t-shirt and jeans can sometimes look a bit scruffy and can give the appearance that you've put in no effort, although that can sometimes be the desired effect.

A bass player in a band I was in a few years back turned up to a gig in a ripped Liverpool jersey and yellow corduroy trousers, made it very hard for the band and the audience to focus on the music.

I think the days of choreographed dance moves for the band died out with the shadows and "The Shadows Walk"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

wi-liam-gallagher.jpg

That picture is actually from the '00s, 2005 I think! :-)

My band is going through this exact thing right now. We have a female singer, so we could go two ways - disappear into the background and have her as the focus, or be "a band" and have all of us look individually interesting. Which is what we've gone for. So I guess it is about making more of an effort, wearing something you don't normally wear, so you stand out. Then, if you've got great tunes and you're a great band, you've got the whole package.

Anyone who wants a sniff of a record deal needs to get their image sorted. No good if a band has great tunes but looks awful. That whole grunge / don't give a f**k thing is gone baby, nowadays its all about having a carefully controlled image. And looking like you've been styled! Sure even Britpop was a very defined image, with Adidas tops, Beatle haircuts, trainers. And emo / metal / punk / hard rock bands have very defined looks too (black, weird haircuts, etc)

More and more indie bands now are going for that "hipster" look - you know, the skinny jeans, jumpers and shirts, nerdy glasses, etc. The "anti rock star" look. I think that can work, its not to everyone's taste, but the point is that you might just stand out that little bit more. Better to have someone notice you and point and say "they must be a band", rather than just think you're a random group of lads.

And that's where I think Irish bands have always fallen down - you get four lads shambling onstage in baggy jeans, trainers, some old hoodies and messy hair. That's not an image, that's just not making an effort. Unless they are all ridiculously good looking, no one's gonna notice. :-)

wi-liam-gallagher.jpg

That picture is actually from the '00s, 2005 I think! :-)

My band is going through this exact thing right now. We have a female singer, so we could go two ways - disappear into the background and have her as the focus, or be "a band" and have all of us look individually interesting. Which is what we've gone for. So I guess it is about making more of an effort, wearing something you don't normally wear, so you stand out. Then, if you've got great tunes and you're a great band, you've got the whole package.

Anyone who wants a sniff of a record deal needs to get their image sorted. No good if a band has great tunes but looks awful. That whole grunge / don't give a f**k thing is gone baby, nowadays its all about having a carefully controlled image. And looking like you've been styled! Sure even Britpop was a very defined image, with Adidas tops, Beatle haircuts, trainers. And emo / metal / punk / hard rock bands have very defined looks too (black, weird haircuts, etc)

More and more indie bands now are going for that "hipster" look - you know, the skinny jeans, jumpers and shirts, nerdy glasses, etc. The "anti rock star" look. I think that can work, its not to everyone's taste, but the point is that you might just stand out that little bit more. Better to have someone notice you and point and say "they must be a band", rather than just think you're a random group of lads.

And that's where I think Irish bands have always fallen down - you get four lads shambling onstage in baggy jeans, trainers, some old hoodies and messy hair. That's not an image, that's just not making an effort. Unless they are all ridiculously good looking, no one's gonna notice. :-)

I thought that was how he looked in Champagne Supernova?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

This thread actually has me thinking about what way to go with my new band
    (Cheap Plug http://www.facebook.com/RiverRunsDeepOnline )image wise

Also do people think its important to have the same image as everyone else playing the same kinda genre as you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Chris' post got me thinking about images that don't match the music. If ever there was a case of that, it's Duke Special - looks like a grunger/emo/goth/punk, and sings moany love songs made for the radio. WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

if your music carries any weight doesnt really matter what you wear, nothing worse then watching a band, who put more effort into dress / stage performance then the tunes, they tend to die off with the fashion trend

PaudyW wrote: »
    if your music carries any weight doesnt really matter what you wear, nothing worse then watching a band, who put more effort into dress / stage performance then the tunes, they tend to die off with the fashion trend

Not to you or people who like your band, but if you wanna get signed, you better believe it matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭boneitis

PaudyW wrote: »

This is one of those lazy false choices a lot of people would have you believe are somehow reality.

Here's a better and obvious third option: look good and have great songs and be easy to work with and have good recordings and have a good singer and be dedicated, etc.

Looking right for the job you're auditioning for (professional musician) is in no way related to the quality of your music.

boneitis wrote: »
    This is one of those lazy false choices a lot of people would have you believe are somehow reality.

Here's a better and obvious third option: look good and have great songs and be easy to work with and have good recordings and have a good singer and be dedicated, etc.

Looking right for the job you're auditioning for (professional musician) is in no way related to the quality of your music.

And be nice to people! It goes a long way!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

boneitis wrote: »

I think thats the best option and is very true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. My "street casual" clothes style of leather g-string, nipple rings, platform boots and one studded black glove seems to fit every occasion whether it be going down the shops for a loaf of bread or playing to a group of pissheads in Whelans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SkinnyHippo

Wow, so many metrosexual pussies in this thread... I hope you all find the time to practice your instruments in those short breaks between hunting for new outfits, visiting hair stylists, getting manicure/pedicure done and putting your make up on. :D

Wow, so many metrosexual pussies in this thread... I hope you all find the time to practice your instruments in those short breaks between hunting for new outfits, visiting hair stylists, getting manicure/pedicure done and putting your make up on. :D

I saw you in Topman once with a pair of skinny jeans and a lowcut pink top on. Fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SkinnyHippo

I saw you in Topman once with a pair of skinny jeans and a lowcut pink top on. Fact.
    No, you didn't. I shop exclusively in Penny's and Dunnes.

Advertisement