Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Guinea Pigs?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

While on a walk recently in the Phoenix Park I spotted
    a guinea pig living in the wall of the US Embassy!
    Yes, it was definitely a guinea pig and not a rat, or a squirrel.
    Just wondering if anyone else has spotted these
    creatures living in the wild in Ireland?
    What are it's chances of actually surviving in our climate?
    I understand they live at cool altitudes in South America,
    so why not here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Merjock wrote: »
    While on a walk recently in the Phoenix Park I spotted
    a guinea pig living in the wall of the US Embassy!
    Yes, it was definitely a guinea pig and not a rat, or a squirrel.
    Just wondering if anyone else has spotted these
    creatures living in the wild in Ireland?
    What are it's chances of actually surviving in our climate?
    I understand they live at cool altitudes in South America,
    so why not here?

They are not native to here so it was probably a dumped pet, and a pet won't survive the winter as it doesn't know how I forage for food and isint used to extreme temperatures.
    There is a sanctuary over the east (meath I think) that deals with exotics, if you contact those they can advise you on trapping it and finding it a home. I don't think I'm allowed post links here but il pm you a link to them later when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Once the cold weather kicks in the guinea pig could die from the cold if a guinea managed to survive there are other risks eg improper diet, predators etc. If anyone ever sees one running around it's best to inform a rescue or try to catch the guineas most likely a pet that has been released or escaped. They would be pretty skittish so difficult to catch. There's a good chance that a guinea pig could of been released by the stupid selfish owner, worth letting the DSPCA know or other rescue or even the zoo as the zoo have guineas as well and one could of been released or taken from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

The zoo had gotten rid of their piggies the last time I was there (in April), so more likely it was dumped :(

Also, the relatives of guinea pigs that still live in the wild in the Andes have been outdoors all year and will have been thickening up their coats in preparation for winter. A pet guinea who has been kept in doors won't have the same winter coat and a sharp frost will kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Poor cold little guinea pig :(

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

It's so sad to think people are stupid enough or careless enough to think that dumping any animal is ok,,how on earth is a guinea pig going to survive a winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Merjock

Was back there a few days ago, but no sign of him (or her).
    Poor little piggie is doomed, I'm afraid.:(
    I'll get onto the animal rescue people anyway.
    Thank you all for your comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Vojera wrote: »
    The zoo had gotten rid of their piggies the last time I was there (in April), so more likely it was dumped :(

Also, the relatives of guinea pigs that still live in the wild in the Andes have been outdoors all year and will have been thickening up their coats in preparation for winter. A pet guinea who has been kept in doors won't have the same winter coat and a sharp frost will kill it.

Thats a shame, last time I was there (three years ago about) they had loads of them. Wasn't too impressed that they had them in with one or two rabbits. They could have had a bit more room tbh.

I miss guinneys...

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Poor guinea pig :(

It's not just the cold that would do for a pet guinea pig in this country, but the damp. Most guinea pigs carry fungal skin conditions that do not affect them when kept in the correct conditions, but in damp and cold they become active and will soon cause serious harm. Between that and respiratory problems caused by the cold I wouldn't say they would last long at all.

Poor little thing, we can only hope someone managed to pick it up before now.

Advertisement