Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certificate of tax credits or p45?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

I am starting a temporary, part time job after having not worked over the last few years. I signed onto Job Seekers Allowance earlier this year and before that I was in college and not employed.
    At the moment, I am trying to figure out just what I need to avoid emergency tax. I do not have a p45 and looking around online, I found this on the citizen's information website. Basically it says that people returning to employment after a significant gap should apply for a certificate of tax credits. They are not exactly clear what constitutes a significant gap, but I am wondering if this would be suitable for my situation. If not, what would be the best way to get a p45? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

You won't get a P45 if you haven't worked for a few years.

Your best bet is to ring your local tax office, give them your PPS No and have them send out a cert of tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Thanks beemerfan, I thought that may be the case but was not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Make sure that the tax office understand that you haven't been working this year. This isn't so important now (December) but really matters in other months of the year.

And if your employer really wants a form, fill in a P46 for them (google it on the Revenue site). This won't do any harm, and may calm them down if they're stroppy re paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

You will need to ring the PAYE 1890 service with your PPS number, the date you started, how paid (weekly, bi-weekly or monthly. You will also need the 7 digit PAYE number of your new employer to register the employment. Once the employment is registered over the phone a tax credit cert issues to you and your employer. As most employers use the ROS service they will see this cert online within 24 to 48 hours. It's up to your employer to then operate on this cert. You do not need to do anything with the cert you receive from revenue. It's for your record only.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Thanks all, seems quite straight forward. I should be able to get it sorted out without difficulty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement