Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed -just got OU results

Options
  • 06-12-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi ,

Just got results this morning from last course of OU Psych Degree so have now ended up with third -class honours. I had a mental block/panic attack in the last exam and barely wrote anything so was sure I had failed the exam and hoped to have another chance to resit and do better next year. To my horror they actually passed me(barely) and the result has now brought down my degree classification.
    I have no idea what to do now as it looks like all post grad courses require at least a 2:2 with most a 2:1. I presume there is no point in even applying without having these results?
    I am gutted as have spent the last 6 years and over 10k doing this and now seems to have been a complete waste of time.
    If anyone has any advice on where to go from here I would really appreciate it...

Thanks..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

You could try appealing.

Make the argument you should have actually failed the exam.

Get them to recheck the paper to see if you actually failed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Are repeat grades not capped if you're repeating due to a fail (rather than an illness)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I didn't think you were allowed to repeat your finals? I know in Trinity you're not - you're only allowed one shot and if you fail them that's it.
    If that's the case with OU you should be glad you passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Thanks for the replies everyone. I contacted them yesterday to see if I could appeal but was told there was no point as they won't fail someone who has passed :(

@dambarude No not capped with the OU as all their courses are module based

@kooli OU system totally different than brick uni which I thought before was a good thing but now not so sure. No such things as actual finals just a final module so works out a lot different...

Looks like the only thing I can do is take another module from say something like criminology or social science to try and bring up my grade but won't have a BsC Psych then ...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kitkat.3b4t

bobbygirl wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I contacted them yesterday to see if I could appeal but was told there was no point as they won't fail someone who has passed :(

@dambarude No not capped with the OU as all their courses are module based

@kooli OU system totally different than brick uni which I thought before was a good thing but now not so sure. No such things as actual finals just a final module so works out a lot different...

Looks like the only thing I can do is take another module from say something like criminology or social science to try and bring up my grade but won't have a BsC Psych then ...

Hi there. I understand that it must be very dissapointing not to have done well after investing so much time and money. I did BSc in Psych with OU a few years ago and as far as I remember it is possible to repeat the entire module and hope to do better. For this you decline the BSc Hons at this stage. It is also possible to take an ordinary level BSc at this stage without hons, so at least you have something while you are working towards a better classification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Hi there,

I've checked all this out with them but they won't allow me to repeat the module unfortunately so I can either accept what I have now or else change to a soical science degree with a better classification.

Advertisement